Discussion topic: Using third party router with Sky FTTP

This message was authored by Kaaaarrrll This message was authored by: Kaaaarrrll

Using third party router with Sky FTTP

Good Afternoon,

I am hoping someone may be able to help me, I've searched around this forum but can't seem to find a definitive answer. I've seen that it can be done but with routers dfferent to mine, but I figured that the router I have brought was just a newer version of the routers that have been successful so wouldn't have too many issues with the connection.

I have FTTP Sky Superfast Fibre connected to an Openeach ONT (I was originally with BT who installed the FTTP connection and chnaged to Sky).

I purchased a TP Link Archer AC1900 C80 as I wanted to replace my Sky Hub,  as i understand it,the ONT is effectively the modem so i dont need a  modem router, or need to worry about the Option 61 MER issue as I am not on an FTTC connection which is why i pruchased the AC1900.

However i am having issues configuring the router to connect to the internet. Can anyone advise of the settings required to get me online with the TP Link router? I have IPV6 enabled...

Thanks in advance.

Best Answers
Kaaaarrrll
Topic Author
This message was authored by Kaaaarrrll This message was authored by: Kaaaarrrll Answer

Re: Using third party router with Sky FTTP

Good news everyone! I was able to get connected to the internet, so i am happy to confirm that the TP Link Archer C80 works as a full replacement to the Sky Q Hub. After some fiddling and on the verge of giving up, i changed a setting for the sake of it, and it worked!.. 

So for this router to work with Sky FTTP, IPV6 needs to be enabled, WAN connection type needs to be set to Normal and get IPv6 address needs to be set to Static.

connected.png

Thank you for the help you have given me!

Regards

Karl

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Kaaaarrrll 

Dhcp option still remains one of skys authentication methods.  Let me check up on your model.  Have you checked for dhcp option 61 client identifier on router set up ?

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
Kaaaarrrll
Topic Author
This message was authored by Kaaaarrrll This message was authored by: Kaaaarrrll

Thanks for the quick reply. I did have a look around for DHCP option 61 but it wasn't obvious, I didn't have a good lol because I was of the understanding I didn't need it because I'm FTTP connection. I'll take a look later for it though. 

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Kaaaarrrll 

Can you screen shot the router set up screen to see what options you are given ie isp selection.

Basically you will plug ethernet from ont to tp link ewan/internet port choose bridge mode and hopefully connect pending authentication

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

@Kaaaarrrll 

In 80% of ont installs authentication is done through dhcpv6 or piggy backing ipv6 on ipv4. There are people here better placed to advise on that side. So will tag 'em in subsequently

@Kaaaarrrll 

@Skull+Treaty  calling you in as i know you're a dab hand at tp link and tether app. ONT install and TP Link Archer AC1900 C80 ???

@Kaaaarrrll 

The Archer C8 (AC1750) can be be flashed with dd-wrt firmware but doesn't mention ac1900.  But better finding out if it can support authentication natively

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

@cookiemonsteruk @Kaaaarrrll 

All of Sky's FTTx products (both FTTC and FTTP), use IPoE instead of PPPoE (in the UK).

So the AC1900 needs to support Option 61, I'n not sure  if TP-Link's DHCP Client List is Option 61 or not.

Using IPv6 as menioned earler may be the way around it for you. For DHCPv6, nothing special is required, if you setup your CPE router for DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation (PD). About 80%~ of Openreach's network, SKy can authenticate DHCPv6 natively, and then DHCPv4 can piggy back on that.

The remaining 20%, will need to be authenticated based on DHCPv4 (and then DHCPv6 can piggy back on that). For DHCPv4, Sky require Option 61 to be present, and this just allows us to identify that the DHCP message is coming from the Sky Hub rather than a laptop or client on your LAN.

This isn't actually called "MER", that's a misconception that often causes confusion and whilst there are some 3rd party devices that reference this in relation to Sky UK (as TP-Link do for their combo mode rounters), the majority won't. You're better off just looking for what it actually is, and that's simply the ability to support custom DHCPv4 Option 61 or "Client-ID" values.

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
Kaaaarrrll
Topic Author

Thank you for all the replies. Here are some shots of my options. (Was easier for me to take a picture of the screen and post on my phone rather than screenshot 😂)

3AB399D4-7F61-4529-8AF0-7F334EB408D6.jpeg

10FC9438-F9CA-405A-AC95-8B7DB98F542D.jpeg

C97908C0-EF72-4785-99D1-B236528B35FE.jpeg

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

@Kaaaarrrll 

Those will take a moment or two, to be approved before they are visible to the community.

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"

@Skull+Treaty wrote:

@cookiemonsteruk @Kaaaarrrll 

So the AC1900 needs to support Option 61, I'n not sure  if TP-Link's DHCP Client List is Option 61 or not.

@Kaaaarrrll @cookiemonsteruk 

Confirmed, DHCP Client List is not Option 61

Kaaaarrrll
Topic Author

Does this mean the router will not work as a sky hub replacement??

@Kaaaarrrll

@Skull+Treaty 

Top photo shows ipv6 prefix delegation setting ???

Kaaaarrrll
Topic Author

The top photo shows that I can custom set my prefix delegation settings (whatever that means)

@Kaaaarrrll @cookiemonsteruk 

Found some useful info that may help, not sure the specifics for your router, I wasn't able to find an emulator for it.

Authentication is based on information inserted by the network (Openreach DSLAM/OLTs), not what information is put in to DHCPv4 Option 61 by the client.
Approx 80% of Openreach's total GEA footprint, that's both FTTC and FTTP, should now support Leightweight DHCPv6 Relay Agent (LDRA), that Sky need to natively authenticate DHCPv6.
It's believed it is 100% of FTTP services, as well as G.Fast.
If your non-Sky router is correctly configured for DHCPv6 PD and can obtain a lease, then DHCPv4 will work following that, without the need for DHCPv4 Option 61 Client-ID.
DHCPv4 Option 61 "Client-ID" will be needed for the other 20% of customers on older Openreach equipment.
There is no "login" ID or password required, but the contents of DHCPv4 Option 61 used by the Sky Hub look like those previously used as PPP CHAP username/passwords from way back when.
DHCPv4 Option 61 is called "Client-ID", and is nothing to do with "MER". "MER" could also be called IPoEoA and Sky uses simply IPoE. There's no ATM involved with VDSL2 or GPON.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion