Discussion topic: Using old router as wireless access point or new modem

This message was authored by Mando301 This message was authored by: Mando301

Using old router as wireless access point or new modem

Hi, just had sky broadband ultrafast plus installed. I was previously with virgin and used their hub in modem mode with an ASUS rt-ac86u as the router but it looks like theres no option to do that with the sky hub. Frustrating as the WiFi strength from the hub isn't as good as when I was using the ASUS router 

I've tried setting up the ASUS router in access point mode but it didn't work (not sure what I'm doing) and now I've seemingly locked myself out of the router and can't get back to its setting page to reset etc. 

should I just give up and replace the hub with a modem with wifi and if so what would work? 

thanks in advance 

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: Using old router as wireless access point or new modem

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mando301 Sky hubs dont have a modem mode unlike Virgin ones. However if you have a full fibre connection your Asus router can potentially be connected directly to the Openreach ONT on the wall but you lose the use of tge Sky landline.

You can revive most units by doing a factory reset so try that by following the manufacturer's instructions here https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039077/ 

Configuring the Asus to connect to your Sky service requires some changes which this thread  explains. You can potentially use the Asus unit behind tge Sky hub if you want a simple life and/or need the landline. You will need to turn off the Sky hub's wifi but otherwise it is pretty much plug and play but you will have a Double NAT set up which a few apps cant handle.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Mando301 

There is little the community can do if one has bricked the Asus router, there are instructions on the Asus site for resetting the router or recovering the firmware in recovery mode, just search for it on Google.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mando301 Sky hubs dont have a modem mode unlike Virgin ones. However if you have a full fibre connection your Asus router can potentially be connected directly to the Openreach ONT on the wall but you lose the use of tge Sky landline.

You can revive most units by doing a factory reset so try that by following the manufacturer's instructions here https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039077/ 

Configuring the Asus to connect to your Sky service requires some changes which this thread  explains. You can potentially use the Asus unit behind tge Sky hub if you want a simple life and/or need the landline. You will need to turn off the Sky hub's wifi but otherwise it is pretty much plug and play but you will have a Double NAT set up which a few apps cant handle.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Mando301
Topic Author
This message was authored by Mando301 This message was authored by: Mando301

@Chrisee many thanks, after following your post and the links I've got my router working again and in place of the sky hub. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion