Discussion topic: Unable to upgrade to ultra fast

This message was authored by seant44 This message was authored by: seant44

Unable to upgrade to ultra fast

Hi All 

Sky ultra fast has become available in my area sky app says it's available, open reach say it's available with capacity, yet when I try to upgrade sky app and also when speaking to sky via phone say I can't even get sky broadband. I currently have sky ultra fast 1,  if I sign out of my sky account it says available but soon as I sign back in say broadband isn't in my area. 

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Unable to upgrade to ultra fast

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@seant44 

We'be been advised that Sky just can't (or won't) permit a migration from G.fast to FTTP within a minimum contract period: this may be due to them being  charged another set of Openreach fees to do the FTTP work after having already been billed by Openreach for G.fast setup within the same billing cycle.

There's apparently a really clumsy option to switch to Sky FTTC (or even ADSL) and then Sky FTTP (with no guarantee of service continuity) or to cancel internet and reprovision with Sky (with a minimum ten day service gap plus possible penalty fee) or switch to another ISP (also with a potential penalty fee)

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@seant44  Do you have ultrafast 1 via g.fast connection?

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@seant44 wrote:

I currently have sky ultra fast 1

Almost certainly, as @Highlinder indicates, because there's no upgrade path within Sky to move from G.fast to FTTP.  The 'broadband isn't in my area' is a nasty error generated by the address already being on G.fast from Sky.

seant44
Topic Author

Hi 

yes my ultra fast 1 is via G fast

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@seant44  I could be wrong in my thinking with Sky that you would have to downgrade and then wait a few weeks for to upgrade again  Or that you move to another provider and then move back after the minimum contract time, I will be stand corrected if I am wrong.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@seant44 

We'be been advised that Sky just can't (or won't) permit a migration from G.fast to FTTP within a minimum contract period: this may be due to them being  charged another set of Openreach fees to do the FTTP work after having already been billed by Openreach for G.fast setup within the same billing cycle.

There's apparently a really clumsy option to switch to Sky FTTC (or even ADSL) and then Sky FTTP (with no guarantee of service continuity) or to cancel internet and reprovision with Sky (with a minimum ten day service gap plus possible penalty fee) or switch to another ISP (also with a potential penalty fee)

seant44
Topic Author

Hi 

Thank you for the quick replies @Highlinder @TimmyBGood I'll keep ultra fast 1 till contract up next year. I've been banging my head against a brick wall talking to call centre being past from department to department. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@seant44 wrote:

I'll keep ultra fast 1 till contract up next year.

Probably the best option.  Unfortunately there's still no guarantee that Sky will have an upgrade path, but at least you'd be able to take your business elsewhere without an unpleasant early termination cost.

@TimmyBGood  I was not sure if it was FTTC or ADSL. That is a real hit from going to 150 down to whatever ADSL offers you.

@Highlinder 

Good point, and ADSL should be almost extinct anyway...

@TimmyBGood  Would that even be an option with Openreach wanting to get everyone off copper.

@Highlinder 

ADSL is due to become SOTAP (Single Order Transitional Access Product) as a fill-in after the end of PSTN but before full fibre is everywhere.  Presumably now 'stop sell' is in effect that's what new 'ADSL-only' addresses are actually getting.

Single Order Transitional Access Product (SOTAP) is a new but temporary product that will deliver a copper path between the end customer’s premises and the SOTAP CP’s exchange infrastructure, over which the SOTAP CP can provide broadband and IP voice services. This is different from MPF because MPF facilitates the use of existing exchange infrastructure which currently supports LLU SMPF and therefore provides a better experience for end customers migrating away from WLR products. SOTAP will no longer be available once FTTP is installed.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion