Discussion topic: Steam downloads are maxing at 8.9mb/s

This message was authored by TempyDergal This message was authored by: TempyDergal

Steam downloads are maxing at 8.9mb/s

Since moving into our new flat we've been told we're Guaranteed 58.3Mb/s and peaked at 78.1mb/s download speed which to me is perfect, however even when upgrading to Wi-Fi Max, and trying Wireless and ethernet connections, it still downloads slow at 8.9mb/s, i've tested this alone and when people are in the house and the result is the same. 

I've tried looking into different positions for the hub, i've moved it, made sure its away from anything that could disrupt it. 

Any help would be grately appreciated.

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Steam downloads are maxing at 8.9mb/s

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@TempyDergal 

Steam measures speed in MBps

1MBps = 8Mbps

There the 9MBps is 72Mbps if my maths are correct

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
TempyDergal
Topic Author
This message was authored by TempyDergal This message was authored by: TempyDergal

@cookiemonsteruk 

So what you're saying is, is that I'm getting the speeds I should with what I have? 

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@TempyDergal 

If you check the steam download speed again and if it says MB/s thats MegaBytes per second whilst Mbps is Megabits per second.  Bytes are more commonly used for file size transfer and there are 8 bits in a byte.  

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@TempyDergal 

You can confirm this by changing the Steam client to display Mbs rather than the default (and unhelpful) MBs

Steam --> Settings --> Downloads --> toggle "Display download rates in bits per second"to On

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

@TimmyBGood 

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@TempyDergal 

You can confirm this by changing the Steam client to display Mbs rather than the default (and unhelpful) MBs

Steam --> Settings --> Downloads --> toggle "Display download rates in bits per second"to On

I didn't know that. Mental note for future reference  although i don't use steam👍

TempyDergal
Topic Author

I've set it to Mega bits instead of bytes, though I tend to prefer using bytes since it's easier to read for myself. 

It pretty much peaks at 72.2mbps

@TempyDergal 

@TempyDergal wrote:

I've set it to Mega bits instead of bytes, though I tend to prefer using bytes since it's easier to read for myself. 

It pretty much peaks at 72.2mbps

I agree bytes in relation to file transfer is easier to relate to whilst bits are easier to understand for streaming IMHO

TempyDergal
Topic Author

Agreed, I've always tended to use Bytes since I'm mostly gaming and downloading is down via bytes instead so its what I'm most used to 😛

@TempyDergal 

I just download from the MS servers but they tend to be up and down depending on the changing bandwidth usage . Do you find steam to be fairly constant?

TempyDergal
Topic Author

Since we've moved in, its been very consistant, however I have just come to a revalation, 

When moving into the flat I said I would handle the internet, however my mother who I live with did it herself.. I believe she read and confused the mbps and mbs. Meaning we are getting the speeds we are supposed to get however its been read wrong 😂

@cookiemonsteruk 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion