Discussion topic: Slow download speed on gigafast

This message was authored by wolverine1 This message was authored by: wolverine1

Slow download speed on gigafast

Recently changed from Ultrafast to Gigafast broadband over a week ago and I have unplugged the ONT etc but download speeds are still the same approx 80Mbps but is advertising as 900 Mbps,with average of 600 ,the upload speed has increased funny enough....

Is there a quick fix to this?Everything is fine bit concerning about the download speed...

Thank you for anyhelp.....ps I am not an expert lol ....

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Slow download speed on gigafast

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@wolverine1 wrote:

download speeds are still the same approx 80Mbps

How are you measuring that?  If it's an inherent limit on the device in use, a much faster speed at the Hub can't change it.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
wolverine1
Topic Author
This message was authored by wolverine1 This message was authored by: wolverine1

Done speed test via apps on my Firecube which is hardwired to the router.....plus on phone/ tablet just on wi-fi..

Like I say everything is fine I was just presuming that the speeds would automatically increase on the apps etc .....

Even changed the ethernet cables to cat 6.read all the forum chats seems an ongoing issue for some.

Thank you for answering BTW 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@wolverine1 wrote:

Done speed test via apps on my Firecube which is hardwired to the router.....

I'd note that all generations of the Fire TV Cube (including the 4K) have a 10/100Mbs ethernet chipset, not gigabit ; )

Such  devices stream UHD at most, which tops-out at about 30Mbs of bandwidth demand.

Sky Glass and Sky Stream hardware is similarly specified, with WiFi 6 but 'only' 100base-T ethernet.

wolverine1
Topic Author

Oh right,well thank you for your help.....so a daft question how do I actually check that I'm getting the gigafast speeds that are being advertised? 

Again thank you...told you I was no expert lol 

@wolverine1 wrote:

so a daft question how do I actually check that I'm getting the gigafast speeds that are being advertised? 

Not daft at all.  Only a device with a known gigabit ethernet port (and drivers) cabled to the Hub using a Cat5e or above ethernet connection gives a 'real' result, using something like the fast.com 'test' site.

Trying that here, my PC has just reported 280Mbs and my phone 27Mbs (yes, under a tenth of the wired speed), both accessing the same 300Mbs business FTTP circuit with gigabit ethernet switching and 802.11ac WiFi respectively.

wolverine1
Topic Author

You a diamond 💎 thank you I will try that and see where it leads.....

Bless ya...

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion