Discussion topic: Sky pucks + mesh network = please help!

This message was authored by KingCraigo This message was authored by: KingCraigo

Sky pucks + mesh network = please help!

Hello

I would really appreciate if someone could help me.

We have been with Virgin for the last 3 years but have come back to Sky today, ordering Sky Broadband Gigafast with two Sky pucks . Our house has 3 levels, and wifi in the top office was teerible. Fortunately, with Virgin we had their pods, and it was fine.

As Sky do not seem to offer anything similar, I have been looking at setting up a mesh network, either with the TP Link Deco M5, or the Amazon Eero. But having read into it today, my worry is that both of these essentially create a new network that could cause connection issues with the Pucks (I have ordered a puck for the downstairs TV and one for the upstairs TV). 

I read about putting the Deco into "access point mode", but I am not sure if that solves the problem?

The alternative is to get one of those WiFi boosters, like the TP AC-link 1900, but I have read that can be a little flaky.

In short, here is my issue:

I want strong wifi around the house, but also want to ensure I can conenct to the two pucks easily.

Is this doable?

Any help greatly apprecaited!

Thanks so much

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Sky pucks + mesh network = please help!

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@KingCraigo 

'pucks' are the Sky Stream boxes, not Q Mini boxes.  As Stream pucks don't create their own mesh network, unlike Q television hardware, anything you've read here about that doesn't apply.

Stream pucks are simple wireless client devices, and just want adequate and consistent bandwidth (c30Mbs).  They don't talk to each other at all.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
KingCraigo
Topic Author
This message was authored by KingCraigo This message was authored by: KingCraigo

Thanks @TimmyBGood 

Sorry for sounding thick, but can the picks be connected to any WiFi, or does it have to my Sky one?

I'm asking because I could use a TP Deco to essentially create a new network, "turn off" the Sky one (that's what TP seem to advise to avoid conflicts) and just connect the pucks to the new Deco network wirelessly. 

Would that work, or is there an easier way?

Thanks again for your reply!

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@KingCraigo 

Stream pucks, unlike Q boxes, will connect with any SSID.  It's Q which complicates things, and Comcast/Sky appears to have specifically avoided that with the more recent system.

KingCraigo
Topic Author

Thanks @TimmyBGood 

Final question, I promise:

So there's no reason why using a TP Deco to improve the WiFi around my home should cause any problems connecting to my two Sky Pucks? 

Anything I should avoid or do?

Thanks so much again, I really appreciate it 

@KingCraigo 

It shouldn't be a problem at all: Stream is inherently much simpler than Q in its local connectivity, although far more hungry for bandwidth.

KingCraigo
Topic Author

Thank you. Fingers crossed!

Enjoy your evening @TimmyBGood 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@KingCraigo I have 3 Stream pucks and a Glass TV connected to my Deco M4 system running in Access Point mode without any issues. If using a system like Deco do turn off the Sky hub's wifi to avoid interference. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@KingCraigo 

Sky do offer similar to Virgin. You can either get WiFi boost with Sky boosters or Sky Max with Sky WiFi Pods.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion