Discussion topic: Sky broadband down for 7 straight days

This message was authored by mirela2 This message was authored by: mirela2

Sky broadband down for 7 straight days

We are close to 2024, and our connection is down now for 7 straight days! And, I never thought this would be possible in place like London but with Sky and Open Reach it happens😁. Just leaving this for future customers!

Best Answers
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210 Answer

Re: Sky broadband down for 7 straight days

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@mirela2 

You haven't confirmed you've reported the fault to Sky but hopefully you have. Openreach have a target fix time of two working days from when they are notified. They don't work on domestic faults at weekends or Bank Holidays. 

The below link explains the Ofcom agreed auto compensation scheme which Sky operates for when there is a TOTAL loss of Sky Broadband or Sky Talk.
https://www.sky.com/help/articles/auto-compensation

If you have a total loss of service and it isn’t fixed after two full WORKING days from when you first report the fault to Sky, you will become eligible for it. It’s applied 30 days after the fault has been repaired and will come in the form of a credit appearing on your Sky account.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

@mirela2 

I take it that you know if this is a fault/down etc in general and not just you, or that you have

reported the issue so SKY are aware of it.

Accident's or fault's can happen at any time, and some take longer than others to repair.

Hope your up and running soon.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@mirela2 

Four of the past seven days have been weekend or Bank Holidays.  A fault logged with an ISP on Friday 22nd would have an Openreach target time to fix of Friday 29th.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210 Answer

@mirela2 

You haven't confirmed you've reported the fault to Sky but hopefully you have. Openreach have a target fix time of two working days from when they are notified. They don't work on domestic faults at weekends or Bank Holidays. 

The below link explains the Ofcom agreed auto compensation scheme which Sky operates for when there is a TOTAL loss of Sky Broadband or Sky Talk.
https://www.sky.com/help/articles/auto-compensation

If you have a total loss of service and it isn’t fixed after two full WORKING days from when you first report the fault to Sky, you will become eligible for it. It’s applied 30 days after the fault has been repaired and will come in the form of a credit appearing on your Sky account.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
mirela2
Topic Author

I have reported the fault on Thursday, And was told that I can expect to be fixed by 28th. still not fixed, and we are coming to another weekend and public holiday. So if we do not get support during public holidays or weekends why do we then have to pay for it, as consumer you should not be asked to pay for service you did not have for what looks like to end up being 12 days...

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

@mirela2 

Daniels post above explains the details

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@mirela2 wrote:

So if we do not get support during public holidays or weekends why do we then have to pay for it

A 'business' broadband contract with weekend and Bank Holiday maintenance cover from Openreach would cost at least four times more than a typical domestic broadband subscription: you can choose to pay that if you wish.

A somewhat cheaper option is to use an ISP which offers failover to cellular data: this is still more expensive (and slower) than fixed-line broadband, but does provide some additional security against line, cabinet and exchange failure.

mirela2
Topic Author

Or you one can chose to cancel sky and get on to Virgin that doesn't use Open Reach.

@mirela2 

Of course: whether a non-Openreach ISP chooses to offer 'better' support cover (and typically charge subscribers accordingly) is up to them and their accountants. I'd observe that whoever offers such service, providing cover at weekends and Bank Holidays is simply more expensive.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion