Discussion topic: Sky Wifi Ping latency high

This message was authored by JackP This message was authored by: JackP

Sky Wifi Ping latency high

JackP_0-1703719808516.png

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Sky Wifi Ping latency high

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@JackP by far the most likely cause of high latency is the wifi connection in your home. Packet loss and high jitter being an issue with wifi due to interference. It is theoretically possible that the link to your hub is the cause but in comparison to wifi it is very unlikely.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@JackP 

The router stats show that you are currently pushing 28Mbps and 21Mbps but this isn't reflected in the throughput going over wireless or LAN ethernet which is disconnected.

When the traffic cannot be accounted for it usually means the WAN port is being attacked from the internet.

Recommend you acquire a new public IP address by switching off the router for an hour, and see if the traffic on WAN is then fine and the issue is solved.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by NiCkDee24 This message was authored by: NiCkDee24

turn off the router for an hour? That won't be neccessary. You can turn it off for 2 minutes and back on again to reaquire an IP address. Unfortunately, a test online for me also revealed that my connection was not stable too and i am experiencing high ping/latency too. I have turned off the router and even factory reset it. 

Nick

@NiCkDee24 

Can you post your router stats for advice on what is going wrong, with the OP they have traffic on the WAN that looks like a TCP sync attack because the traffic isn't reflected in the LAN or/and WLAN.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

@mae-3 

There has been some quirks with the sky routers were the Rx b/s and Tx b/s, both or one only

but usually more the 8 plus hrs, were you will not see traffic bit rate, if you watch

on the update the packets will change so thats how i know that my router is working,

does seem to be only on the 5ghz band also if it wasn't then my laptop would not connect

as it is set to only connect on my split bands, thought you might want to know, not saying that

this is the case for the OP.

NiCkDee24_0-1703763251149.png

@mae-3 

Nick

It says on the broadband test @mae-3 that the connection is not stable but everything else is good and i'm getting like 800-1600ms pings in games and stuff and connection does seem wobbly. Trying to figure out how to get live chat so i can have them look at it as i have issue calling people.

Nick

@NiCkDee24 

Just waiting for the screenshot to be approved by the powers to be.

-------

NiCkDee24_0-1703763769406.png

this is the test result that showed not stable. i've done some ping tests too which keep timing out. 

Nick

@JimM1 

The OP is showing more than 28Mbps upstream saturation which is why they are experiencing issues with latency because the upstream can only take a maximum of 30Mbps, so it is saturated with data. This is because it isn't shown on LAN/WLAN has me thinking it is an attack and the recommendation to acquire a new public IP address.

-------

@NiCkDee24 

The router stats show that the broadband G.fast connection is downloading at 65Mbps and uploading 22Mbps but the traffic again isn't accounted for in the LAN/WLAN traffic. I'd recommend that you explore why there is traffic on the WAN of 22Mbps upstream this is likely due to you making backups or something else if you are unsure the only way would be to acquire a new public IP address by switching off the router for an hour as that ensures a new public IP address and if it is a TCP sync attack then it should stop it.

-------

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion