Discussion topic: Sky broadband + Amplify mesh

This message was authored by Damian5 This message was authored by: Damian5

Sky broadband + Amplify mesh

Hi all - We have Sky Broadband Ultrafast Plus coming in to a Sky router which supports two Q boxes.

It's also connected to our Amplifi mesh network which predadted us getting the faster Sky connection. 

The Amplifi mesh system says it's getting 200MBS+ and Sky's saying 515MBS. Both the Sky and Amplifi apps are saying everything's fine.

Think the two networks must be interfering with reach other as despite having the Ultrafast Plus package we're typically getting 2MBS in most rooms, plus one of the Q boxes refuses to stay connected despite having a booster.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help get the two working together OK?  Have had Sky engineers round who said they had it sorted. Also had the local IT shop who fitted the mesh network 'fix' it. In both instances speed was OK for a few days and then deteriorated.

I'm guessing the answer is to go all Sky and get Sky boosters to connect everything to that but am hoping that there's an easier way as everything's connected to the Amplifi network so will be hard to switch over for an amateur like me.

Thanks everyone

All Replies

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

Re: Sky broadband + Amplify mesh

@Damian5 

Some more info is required from you to further assist so will get the general info out the way.

When you upgraded to Ultrafast Plus, what happened, did you speed increase just or go from FTTC - FTTP with new install also did the router from sky change.

100% mesh is the way to go, although you say it predated the Amplifi Mesh is really good kit and in theory should enhance your experience for your faster connection. I will copy link to amplifi later in this post as it is needed for details of your kit.

I have to assume that you are doing all of your testing via a mobile device connected to the wifi,

question that needs to be asked, ie how many wifi SSID do you see on or near each, also apple/android

device used.

200Mb/s on wifi is good, 500Mb/s would be possible in ideal testing.

You need to eliminate some parts to help with your testing.

Idealy Ethernet Connected equipment is best, i would switch of both Q boxes as they can

have the ability to act as wifi booster's and that is a potential for wifi clash of your amplifi/sky.

You have said both Sky and local IT have both assisted, and goes good for a couple of days so

The statement you make 2Mb/s in every room in your speed test is now your basis, with the Q off,

Sky router and Amplifi mesh up, now test your speed, and report of any difference,

Ethernet connected to a ie, laptop and wired to the Sky Router is the ONLY true speed and you would expect this to return close to your package ie 500Mb/s down 75Mb/s up there are many factors in this so speed of the server connected to, is the sky router busy because some one is watching a 4K movie connected over the wifi etc THAT is why it is recomended to test with all other devices off.

Damian5
Topic Author

Thanks Jim. Really appreciate it.

Was getting 20MBS just now in the kitchen which was the worst hit spot, using my phone as you guessed. Not sure why it's improved, but know that the system can manage much more my laptop's just got 400+MBS when connected directly to Sky's network (vs the Amplifi mesh)

There are lots of devices connected around the house as we have Hive, Sonos and Ring systems but Amplifi shows they don't pull that much data.

Will do a test by turning off the two Q boxes and Q booster as you suggest. Wife watching TV on one now so not possible at this point in time.

Amplifi system is the HD Mesh Router + 3 MeshPoints.

Am an amateur as you can tell but sounds like I'll need to commit to one system ie no Q boxes, and Amplifi throughout, or go Sky all the way (ane remove Amplifi) which will mean getting an engineer out to add more boosters given the house size / shape and wall thickness. The latter will also require reconnecting everything to Sky which will be a PITA so if it's possible to make things work with Amplifi I'll try that first if I can - esp if you say it's a good system.

Thanks, and Happy Christmas!

@Damian5 

Amplifi system is the HD Mesh Router + 3 MeshPoints.

Your's from above, this is the way to GO, the fact that you have Q and Q booster, that

is NOT a good combo, If you are not 100% apple then i can recommend an app call Netspot, it will analyse the wireless on your phone, and you will be able to see what is going on, sounds like you have clash with Q Booster and Amp system.

For example, why q booster when the mesh should cover the house.....

You know, have patience there is not always easy fix, and the more that is added, the worse it can get...

Damian5
Topic Author

Thanks again, Jim. I'm too hopeless to start analysing my system via an app, but the Sky engineers who added the Q booster reckoned the two systems were clashing.

So you think the best way forward is ditch the two Q boxes and go Amplifi all the way?  If so I think that will still require Sky Broadband router as the local IT team left the previous Sky broadband router in place when fitting the Amplifi system.

My Sky Q contract is up at the end of Jan. In an ideal world I'll keep the dish for the main TV downstairs and then use Sky Stream for the other two which currently have Sky Q.

Does that sound at least vaguely sensible?  Thanks again

@Damian5 

So we have been SKY customers for over 20years, i have not had Sky Q for many years, but when we did

I specifically had the Boxes both connected to the Sat Dish, i was not having any off the but then you wont be able to pause move about and carry on, who cares IT CAUSES MORE issues than it fixes....

I only have FTTC with the max 40/10 split, so have to manage as that is as good as it get's....

But i have had to adapt, the ring doorbell is such a PAIN, have done powerline to sort that sucker out... And it takes care of the garage also, when wife is out on the treadmill earphones on and oblivious to the world.

Sorted daughter out with so MANY GAGET'S PS1/2/3/4/5 you name it she's got them all so for laughs,

She starts downloading the latest PS5 whatever, kicks of a 4k movie to watch while, this happens,

The WIFE Screams Jim the SKY WIFI is broke, trust me it isn't, does the daughter care, not one iota...

Does the wife care she sure does, she is getting starved of data because the Daughters WiFI Booster/RE is more powerfull and better at streaming data than her Laptop will ever be....

I think you will find that once you switch the Q and Q booster off, normaility will begin,

Think of this as you are never to old, The radio is blaring in the Bedroom, the Kitchen and the Living Room that is were the extenders and routers are etc, ONLY one can be heard and sometimes the closet wins and sometimes it loses

You will need to seak advice but Q is good, there streaming pucks are nice and only work over WiFI or even 100% better ETHERNET WIRED connection.

Take the first step, check your Q by putting of, your amplifi system is really one of the best and if you have time, the link you looked at earlier is really good at helping.

Hope this helps, but trust me if you go backwards to SKY and SKY Boosters you are going to have a lot of hurt from your statement i have lots of devices from previous....

@Damian5 

You wrote the following

So you think the best way forward is ditch the two Q boxes and go Amplifi all the way?  If so I think that will still require Sky Broadband router as the local IT team left the previous Sky broadband router in place when fitting the Amplifi system.

The SKY router is ONLY required if you need the LANDLINE phone connection.

Possible Sky Q but you maybe able to work around this, especially if you are going to puck's.

So you possibly can go Amplifi all the way, you may have to sweet talk your IT team to help

you get it setup, they got this far with the combo just now, and should be a minor change to make it work without the SKY Router.....

Jim

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Damian5 wrote:

In an ideal world I'll keep the dish for the main TV downstairs and then use Sky Stream for the other two which currently have Sky Q.

Does that sound at least vaguely sensible?  

Unfortunately not, because Sky won't permit subscription to Q and Stream at the same address.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Damian5
Topic Author

Got it. Thanks. Getting Amplifi to work without the Sky router is key as otherwise it'll still be broadcasting its own network which will clash with the Amplifi network even if the Sky Q boxes are gone. Thanks again

Damian5
Topic Author

Thank you for all the help here @JimM1 and @TimmyBGood Very useful.

My update. Am going to get shot of the Q boxes and replace with Sky Stream next week.

I had our local IT engineer round today. He has switched off the Sky wifi network so I only have my Amplifi mesh network, which I'll connect the Sky Stream pucks to (one via wifi and one via ethernet). 

So all should be good. One thing, my engineer has kept the Sky broadband router in place along with the Amplifi router, as he says it's impossible to remove the Sky broadband router from the system and just go via the Amplifi router.

If anyone definitely knows a way to remove it -  and if removing it will make my wifi speed faster / better - I'd be grateful if they could let me know and I will pass on the specific guidance to him. Many thanks again

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Damian5 

I do not have a specific guide but you should be able to connect your Amplify system directly to the Openreach ONT and then configure it to use DHCP Option 61 on the IPv4 WAN & IPv6 PD on the IPv6 WAN.

There is a thread from last year that has a bit of discussion around how to do it 

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Sky-Broadband-Hub-and-AMPLIFI-HD-mesh-configuration/td-p/4081...

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Damian5
Topic Author

Thanks for this. Appreciate it. I passed the details to the engineer who said he'd tried DHCPv4 but it didn't work, however he's going to look into it further. Thanks again

@Damian5 

As you say, let them look into it, there is not many examples of the Amplifi but it will be one of the settings, Send a message on the post you checked to that OP to see if he has it still working....

Good luck but it is the way to go...

Jim

Damian5
Topic Author

Cheers Jim. Good thought. Will do

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion