Discussion topic: Sky Q, multi room, routers and extenders

This message was authored by MikeW52 This message was authored by: MikeW52

Sky Q, multi room, routers and extenders

I'm looking to cancel multi room as our second room no longer has a tv. 

at that point I will have a sky q router wired to a sky q set top box. And nothing else.

If I want to improve the WiFi signal both in general and also around the house I would typically expect to buy a different router and the same brand quality extenders.

Is this the way to do it, or is this a problem having the set top box driven off 3rd party routers? Just concious that Sky Q was creating this proprietary mesh and it has to be all sky q or no sky q. Fir what it's worth my WiFi signal has been poor recent,y even sat in sight of the router so I'm keen to refresh it all anyway. Seems worse when cold *shrug*.

All advice on best set up and best hardware welcome.

For additional info - if I suggest more cables round the house the wife will throttle me.

cheers 

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Sky Q, multi room, routers and extenders

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@MikeW52 

Sky boosters would do the job fine but if you'd rather a 3rd party option that should work fine providing you disable the WiFi on your main Q box so you dont have 2 mesh networks running. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
MikeW52
Topic Author

Many thanks

we have 3 stories and my lad Xboxes on the top floor, so always tricky to get a gd signal up there and gaming requires it unfortunately, hence wanting to get a good setup.

So I can get any 3rd party router and extenders and then just turn off the WiFi on the set top box?

What about the Xbox I have wired into it? That would be unaffected? And presumably I risk a worse connection in the room with the set top box unless I put an extender in that room now. So may need one on each floor = 3xextender plus router... pah...

many thanks

@MikeW52 

Sorry not following you now. In your original post you said you have your Sky hub wired to your main Q box but now you just mentioned that you have your Xbox wired to it as well? Do you have a switch in the middle or do you mean the Xbox is connected to your Sky Q mini that you will be removing?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
MikeW52
Topic Author

Yeah sorry you are having trouble following because the info I'm giving is patchier than my WiFi lol!

so just checked and I have the phone line into the sky router. The set top box is actually not connected by cable. It only has the 2 dish connectors, power, hdmi and Ethernet to Xbox. So actually the set top box is connected by WiFi to the sky q router.

So i think my options are to either switch out the sky q router and go single other brand for router and extenders, or keep the sky q router and get sky extenders.

and i think the considerations are how good a signal i will get around my house in general, and whether going non sky router will create issues with that set top box and the Xbox that is cabled to it, and other devices I'm used to using near it currently,  rather than improve things.

@MikeW52 

Ah okay.

Yeah I'd say your best option is to replace the Sky hub with a 3rd party mesh, disconnect the Xbox from the Sky Q box and connect it via WiFi to your new mesh system which should provide a better connection than having it hop through the Sky Q box. Then you have the option of either connecting the Sky Q box via WiFi to your new mesh system or via a cable to one of your mesh nodes.

I am NOT a Sky Employee

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion