Discussion topic: Sky Non-Fibre Broadband and Eero

This message was authored by DC11 This message was authored by: DC11

Sky Non-Fibre Broadband and Eero

We are in the process of changing our my ISP to 'Sky Broadband" ('SuperFast' - 60Mbs -Non Fibre) in coming weeks. I have two questions ;

1. Can I Just use Amamzon eero6 as my main router connecting directly to the BT socket (without using the Sky provided router at all)?
  2. or is it still requires to keep the Sky router switched-on all the time but in a disabled WiFi mode ? (want to avoid as it looks complicated )
  3. Is there any significant benefits added by the Eero compared to Sky Hub?

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Sky Non-Fibre Broadband and Eero

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DC11 

If you intend to make or receive 'landline' telephone calls then you'll need to have the Sky Broadband Hub in place.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
DC11
Topic Author

Hi @TimmyBGood 

Thanks.

- We are not planning to make Landline calls. So in that case can we just use the eero6 instead of the Sky provided Hub?

(for information : if we intend to have incoming landline calls, then what would be the ideal setup?)

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DC11 

For any landline telephony function at all on a new broadband service the ISP router must be in use as the gateway device.

I don't know if an Eero can authenticate to Sky broadband.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
DC11
Topic Author

So anyone using eero6 as broadband router (instead of usign the Sky suplied Hub)? 

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

@DC11 

If the eero6 device does not have a DSL modem then you will require something in front of

the eero6 to convert, do not think that the eero is a combined router/modem but search

the forum to see if/what anyone has had success in the past, there maybe someone has

done it on a FTTC connection to the openreach socket as you are suggesting for connection.

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

@DC11 

Also looks only like router mode only, no modem so cannot plug into the openreach master socket.

Amazon Eero 6 review: affordable and easy-to-use mesh networking system with support for Wi-Fi 6 | T...

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion