Discussion topic: Sky Hub - Gigafast vs Sky Q and limited speeds

This message was authored by Keaney2023 This message was authored by: Keaney2023

Sky Hub - Gigafast vs Sky Q and limited speeds

Hi, i'm on sky gigafast and recently had a engineer out to fit a booster as we had some slow speeds in the house. We have a few mini boxes too, one is wired on Cat5e and one is wireless.

It seems sky mini boxes are defaulted to go into ECO mode which turns the hotspot off in them the engineer said which was the first thing he sorted. Great i thought!

He then advised that there are new Sky hubs coming but they dont work with Q yet, Sky will be charging extra for these and my current hub will be limited to 500mb (assuming internal wifi speeds).

My question being, does anyone know about these hubs?

Why should i pay more for one when i'm on a gigafast package.

Another option is obviously a gaming router

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Sky Hub - Gigafast vs Sky Q and limited speeds

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Keaney2023 

The sky max hub is a wifi 6 hub but not compatible with the mini box side of the sky q setup

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
Keaney2023
Topic Author
This message was authored by Keaney2023 This message was authored by: Keaney2023

What about if it was on a wired connectioin to the mini hubs through Cat6?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Keaney2023 wrote:

He then advised that there are new Sky hubs coming but they dont work with Q yet, Sky will be charging extra for these and my current hub will be limited to 500mb (assuming internal wifi speeds).

My question being, does anyone know about these hubs?

Your engineer is six months behind the times.

https://www.skygroup.sky/article/Sky-Broadband-releases-its-most-powerful-WiFi-yet 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Keaney2023 

That would be the preferred option

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Keaney2023 wrote:

my current hub will be limited to 500mb

The Sky Broadband Hub has gigabit ethernet ports, but is 802.11ac rather than the 802.11ax of the Max Hub.

@Keaney2023 wrote:

Why should i pay more for one when i'm on a gigafast package.

The Sky Broadband Hub supports gigabit as far as its own ethernet ports, which is what is required.

No ISP 'guarantees' anything like gigabit WiFi: BT has only just launched a WiFi 6 router (under EE branding)

Keaney2023
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood  yeah i seen that and thought mine is the black hub one so am I missing out on something. What is the point of gigafast if im limited to my internal wifi speed network

Keaney2023
Topic Author

My other option is to fall onto my Linkysys Velop mesh system which i run as a second wifi system thats wired to the main hub.... maybe that has faster wifi speeds and I stick a few switches on wired connects to provide it for those and the sky mini box

@Keaney2023 wrote:

What is the point of gigafast if im limited to my internal wifi speed network

Mostly to supply 'enough' bandwidth for multiple devices simultaneously.  Almost no individual hardware items actually benefit from more than a small fraction of such bandwidth: UHD streaming is around 30Mbs at most, for example.  Anyway, client devices have to be Wifi 6 specified to benefit from a WiFi 6 signal.

Gigafast also has better outbound speed, which is useful for, say, prolific YouTube content creators.

@Keaney2023 wrote:

I stick a few switches on wired connects to provide it for those and the sky mini box

A Q Mini uses about 3 Mbs its own purposes.

@Keaney2023 

Essentially the only point of feeding many hundreds of megabits to a single computing device is where it's carrying out a massive download (a 60GB CoD patch for example), but even then the difference between 500Mbs and 900Mbs is the length of a cup of tea*.

*actually about seven minutes ; )

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion