Discussion topic: Connecting 2.4 ghz devices

This message was authored by Brammers1 This message was authored by: Brammers1

Connecting 2.4 ghz devices

I want to connect a 2.4 ghz device (security camera) to my wifi, but at the moment this is only 5ghz. Is it possible to reconfigure the wifi to get dual band?

Best Answers
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

Re: Connecting 2.4 ghz devices

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Brammers1 

Have you seperated the 2.4ghz and 5hz wifi bands. Follow the steps below

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband-Talk/How-to-separate-WiFi-bands/ba-p/3530610

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

@Brammers1 

Have you seperated the 2.4ghz and 5hz wifi bands. Follow the steps below

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband-Talk/How-to-separate-WiFi-bands/ba-p/3530610

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Brammers1 wrote:
 at the moment this is only 5ghz. 

By default in its shipping configuration a Q Hub or a Sky Broadband Hub will be broadcasting the same SSID on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.  The oldest model still in support (the Sky Hub) is 2.4Ghz only.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by xenon81 This message was authored by: xenon81

If your router is transmitting 2.4 and 5Ghz then there really should be no need to do anything. If the new device doesn't support 5Ghz then it simply won't see the 5Ghz network and will connect to 2.4Ghz instead. 

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@xenon81 

@xenon81 wrote:

If your router is transmitting 2.4 and 5Ghz then there really should be no need to do anything. If the new device doesn't support 5Ghz then it simply won't see the 5Ghz network and will connect to 2.4Ghz instead. 

Thats in an ideal world. However experience says that some 2.4ghz only devices need to see a seperate 2.4ghz ssid from the router

Brammers1
Topic Author
This message was authored by Brammers1 This message was authored by: Brammers1

Update: thanks for the advice; I de-synched the 2.4 and 5.0 ghz signals, renamed the 2.4 and connected the camera successfully. 

This message was authored by Perfectpacman This message was authored by: Perfectpacman

How did you do that?

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Perfectpacman 

Use the link in the post marked "answer"

This message was authored by splinternet This message was authored by: splinternet

I've been running just the 5 Ghz wifi on my sky hub since I had it about 2 years ago.  SkyQ box, computers, printers, Alexa, etc... have all run OK.   I've just installed a wifi doorbell (Arlo) which only works on 2.4GHz, so I've now activated this in the hub too, giving it a different SSID from the 5GHz.  The Sky Q box has automatically hooked itself up to the new 2.4GHz SSID and I'm finding streaming is now juddery, so I want to connect it to the 5 GHz service.  However, in SkyQ network setup, I don't see a list of available networks to choose from, like I do with my computers etc.... so how can I connect the Q box to another network?

@splinternet 

Even with the bands synchronised the sky q box requires connection to both 2.4 and 5ghz .  So nothing should have changed

This message was authored by splinternet This message was authored by: splinternet

So if one or other of the two networks was disabled (can this be done using Sky hub admin?)  then not all functionality in the Sky Q Box is going to work?   In the Sky Q setup, is there any guidance as to settings in the hub?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion