Discussion topic: Sky Gigafast Broadband WiFi speed issue

This message was authored by coluian This message was authored by: coluian

Sky Gigafast Broadband WiFi speed issue

When I recently upgraded to Sky Gigafast fibre, during the first 2 weeks I was doing speed tests over WiFi (note the wired speed is around 850 mbps) and I was getting around 500mbps over the WiFi.  This was with all devices connected (including 2 Sky q mini boxes ). After the 2 weeks wheb they say the signal settles down etc I have noticed that over WiFi the max I now get is between 120 and 220 mbps.  I have no idea why the speed dropped so much since the initial  14 days.

has anyone else had this at all? 
 Has anyone any advise as to what I can do to get the wifi speed  back up? Or is this the usual after the initial 14 days?

here's hoping,

thanks in advance one and all 😃

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Sky Gigafast Broadband WiFi speed issue

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@coluianwifi speeds can be affected by multiple things. The most likely is interference from a neighbour's network you can download a Wifi Analyzer app onto an Android phone or a laptop and see what networks are available near your devices. A reasonably strong dignal on the same or adjacent channel will cause interference. You can manually change the 2.4GHz channel on most Sky hubs but the 5CHz band is less easy to fix.

The other factor is simply the layout and construction in your home. The 5GHz band gives the best signal but has the least range simply closing a door can affect speeds as can the mobile 75kg water bags living in your home moving around. Make sure you give your hub the best chance by having it out in the open on a desk or shelf above most obsticals like furniture and radiators. Same applies to devices.

You can buy various sets of kit to improve wifi speeds but before doing so stop and consider if the reduction in speed is affecting the use of your network. Gigabit service is more about more users being able to use the network simiultaenously than outright speed for any single device. Apart from downloading most apps need under 100Mb/s for example streaming the latest Netflix release in UHD/HDR cannot use much more than 35Mb/s. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
coluian
Topic Author
This message was authored by coluian This message was authored by: coluian

Hi, 

thank you for the reply.  Looking at the WiFi scanner my 2.4ghz channel seems to be channel 6 and channel 1 (don't know why it's on 2 channels as I though sky q min boxes connect over the 5ghz?).  My 5ghz is channel 36. There is another skynetwork and a talk talk one using channel 6 so perhaps that could cause the slowness I've my WiFi (I assume that the WiFi speed I measure is the 2.4ghz??)

When I do the Speedtest i am in the same room as the router.  
if I move upstairs to the furthest point away from the router the WiFi spend only goes down by between 50 - 100 mbps thigh I expect it is getting the speed I've the WiFi from the sky q mini boxes upstairs.  

it's just strange that nothing has changed re my set up since the initial 2 weeks when I was getting up to 500mbps in the Speedtest. 

so should I now change the WiFi channel for the 2.4 ghz and if I do does it always then use that channel?

thank you again for your reply,

Ian

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@coluian 

Q Mini boxes connect back to your main Q box on 5ghz but they still broadcast a 2.4ghz signal for your own devices to connect to. 

Just because you get higher speeds at one point in time it does not mean this will always be the case, neighbouring routers & other forms of interference can be changing channels all the time leaving you with less airspace bandwidth. Additionally with you having Sky Q you'll expect lower speeds over WiFi because the Q system is designed to provide coverage over speed. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion