Discussion topic: Router upgrade

This message was authored by DanMadHouse This message was authored by: DanMadHouse

Router upgrade

I have sky super fast, but guessing we just have too many things connected to it now to maintain any constant good connection. If I'm watching say football on tv it stops every few minutes, if I'm on the PlayStation it's fine but I have that hardwired. We also have a PlayStation portal (connected via WiFi signal) that basically mirror what would be sent to the tv that too is almost unplayable because it just keeps lagging and eventually disconnects. Our speed seems fine (average 55mbps) but I'm guessing the long list of devices in the house dipping in and out is too much for the sky router? 

What's my best option? Do sky offer any kind of upgrade that could cope with this type of traffic? If not what router should I buy? I have no idea when it comes to home networking 

we have a booster put in upstairs but that doesn't se to help much signal wise 

3 TVs, 3 Alexa's, a ring doorbell, 3 mobile phones, a Mac, 2 iPads, a PS5, the PSportal, the washing machine, the whole EV charging system (charging pod, smart meter, the car itself) .... a lot of things to interrupt tv and gaming ultimately 

All Replies

DanMadHouse
Topic Author
This message was authored by DanMadHouse This message was authored by: DanMadHouse

Re: Router upgrade

https://amzn.eu/d/iTUOndr

looking at something like the above?

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DanMadHouse 

That would work fine, depends how you want to connect it though. Either bin the Sky router or switch WiFi off on the Sky router and connect the mesh system to it?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
DanMadHouse
Topic Author

Not sure to be honest. Which ever one worked best? Would this cause issues with our extra sky box upstairs in the bedroom?

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DanMadHouse 

Both would work, removing the Sky hub is technically the 'best' option but that also requires extra work & an external modem if you are not on full fibre.

By extra Sky box do you mean booster?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion