Discussion topic: Router throughput is around half of specified broadband speed on both Wi-Fi and ethernet connection.

This message was authored by Shaun.k This message was authored by: Shaun.k

Router throughput is around half of specified broadband speed on both Wi-Fi and ethernet connection.

I'm hoping someone can advise/help: My router is receiving 79mb/s, however my Wi-Fi is ranging between 30-35mb/s, and 37mb/s on ethernet. I have disconnected all apart from one device, placed the router unobstructed in the middle of my living room, and run speed tests using 'speed test.net by ookla', achieving the above mentioned values. 

Sky sent me a new router, and the results are identical, therefore I am at a loss. Either: (a) the equipment is restricting my throughput due to some settings/software, (b) both routers are faulty, or (c) there is some form of invisible obstruction within my house that myself, the Sky engineers and Openreach engineers failed to identify during their visits.

Has anyone experienced anything like this, it is frustrating, and making me wonder if it is worth downgrading to the cheaper broadband package, as this is what I am actually receiving. I mean why pay for a package that is currently impossible to actually get? The speed guarantee requirement is that the broadband speed must be above 65mb/s, and it is, to my router it is 79mb/s, so Sky is honouring their side, but where do I stand as the Sky provided equipment is halving my speed? Surely this is not right, what rights do I have to me and ideally how can this be corrected?

I welcome any help, and please identify/correct anything you see wrong/missing in the statement above.

All Replies

This message was authored by best+of+the+best This message was authored by: best+of+the+best

Re: Router throughput is around half of specified broadband speed on both Wi-Fi and ethernet connect

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Shaun.k wrote:

I'm hoping someone can advise/help: My router is receiving 79mb/s, however my Wi-Fi is ranging between 30-35mb/s, and 37mb/s on ethernet. I have disconnected all apart from one device, placed the router unobstructed in the middle of my living room, and run speed tests using 'speed test.net by ookla', achieving the above mentioned values. 

Sky sent me a new router, and the results are identical, therefore I am at a loss. Either: (a) the equipment is restricting my throughput due to some settings/software, (b) both routers are faulty, or (c) there is some form of invisible obstruction within my house that myself, the Sky engineers and Openreach engineers failed to identify during their visits.

Has anyone experienced anything like this, it is frustrating, and making me wonder if it is worth downgrading to the cheaper broadband package, as this is what I am actually receiving. I mean why pay for a package that is currently impossible to actually get? The speed guarantee requirement is that the broadband speed must be above 65mb/s, and it is, to my router it is 79mb/s, so Sky is honouring their side, but where do I stand as the Sky provided equipment is halving my speed? Surely this is not right, what rights do I have to me and ideally how can this be corrected?

I welcome any help, and please identify/correct anything you see wrong/missing in the statement above.

Hi @Shaun.k have you tried checking your broadband via the My Sky app installed on a mobile device 

Screenshot_20221218_191840_My Sky.jpg

Screenshot_20221218_192209_My Sky.jpg

Screenshot_20221218_193054_My Sky.jpg

Select either WiFi or Sky Broadband on the next screen what opens select Test Broadband and just check what information it gives you regarding your Sky Broadband package 

Shaun.k
Topic Author

Re: Router throughput is around half of specified broadband speed on both Wi-Fi and ethernet connect

Hi @best+of+the+best , thank you for the prompt input. I have only now downloaded the app and tried as you suggested, with the results as follows:

3FD9A5D1-EC9F-4620-90B3-44D147C8781D.jpeg

It was running at 79mb/s until Openreach came out 2 weeks ago, but this is still good. I don't understand why I am getting less than half from the router though.

I have found a BT hub in my garage, and I am going to give that a try now, as of April this year, I believe Sky changed policy allowing the use of 3rd party routers. I will share the results shortly.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Shaun.k forget using the BT hub it simply wont connect to any service other BTs you can useca third party router if they support Sky's connection but the Sky hub should support essily support a 73Mb/s service.

When running your speed tests are using one device or do you get similar issues with multiple devices? 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Shaun.k
Topic Author

Hi @Chrisee, thank you for the comments. I have attempted multiple devices, iPhone & iPad via WiFi, and a windows desktop using a wired connection. The routers are cutting the speed in half for some reason. 

I read online that the setting within the BT hub can be configured to support Sky broadband, I began looking into it but it does not appear straight forward. I'm only trying that to determine if the issue is with a router (hardware/software) or if it is the environment (house) causing some form of interference.

I welcome any further comments, happy to try anything at this point. 

This message was authored by TomThumb5ive This message was authored by: TomThumb5ive

@Shaun.k  1 simple test to try & eliminate any shortcomings with sky's network infrastructure is to test your connection speed over a vpn.

if you have no vpn already set up, you can use the free vpn from ookla (the speed test people  (ookla speedtest app) it  has a free 2GB data limit if you don't mind downloading there app, 

then rerun your speed tests & post the results.

Tom...

Sky want us to believe in better
BELIEVE =accept that (something) is true, especially without proof.
BETTER = of a higher standard, or more suitable, pleasing, or effective than other things or people:

Sky Q & 2 mini’s
SR203 router. > Replaced with ASUS XT9’s with a TP-Link TD-W9970 modem
Sky superfast 80/20 :sort of, 63-75/15. Devolo 1200 wifi > Replaced with cat 6
Sony KDAF8 65 oled.
This message was authored by Eeeps This message was authored by: Eeeps

There is another thread in this forum discussing the sort of issues you are seeing.

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Slow-broadband/td-p/4143010

Some are suggesting it's a Sky issue that may or may not have been fixed.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Shaun.k wrote:

I read online that the setting within the BT hub can be configured to support Sky broadband

I don't think that's possible: a BT Hub is not capable of authenticating against a Sky broadband service.  There are articles online which have misleading titles (they are actually about turning BT Hubs into makeshift wireless access points for use with broadband from any ISP) but this doesn't remove the requirement for a functioning Sky-compatible router.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Shaun.k
Topic Author

Hi @TomThumb5ive, thank you for the help, and sorry if I have done something in error, I am not familiar with VPN or how it works. I have downloaded the Ookla app and here are the results:

94BD7091-3250-44EF-A23C-FC0A914C7CED.jpeg

 Pretty consistent at around half the speed it should be.

This message was authored by TomThumb5ive This message was authored by: TomThumb5ive

@Shaun.k  While we're waiting for your pic to be approved & available to view,

Did the speed test show any discernible difference when runing a vpn thru the ookla app or without vpn?

Tom...

Sky want us to believe in better
BELIEVE =accept that (something) is true, especially without proof.
BETTER = of a higher standard, or more suitable, pleasing, or effective than other things or people:

Sky Q & 2 mini’s
SR203 router. > Replaced with ASUS XT9’s with a TP-Link TD-W9970 modem
Sky superfast 80/20 :sort of, 63-75/15. Devolo 1200 wifi > Replaced with cat 6
Sony KDAF8 65 oled.
Shaun.k
Topic Author

Hey @TomThumb5ive, no, no difference at all I'm afraid. 

Shaun.k
Topic Author

Hi @Eeeps, thank you for sharing the link to the other discussion, I have not completed the entire thread, but it would appear that I am not alone at all, many others experiencing the exact same issues. Almost all in that thread have confirmed that turning the router off for 20 minutes, and switching it back on again appears to work for 24 hours or so, which leads me to believe it is some software issue either in the router or managed by Sky. I will try this later (when the children are not online) and share my results. However, given my new router did not work resolve it, I am skeptical about this actually working, but again I am open to try anything at this stage.

Shaun.k
Topic Author

Hi @TimmyBGood, cheers for the heads up on that, you've probably saved me a headache here attempting to work out how to use the BT hub on a Sky broadband package.

This message was authored by Eeeps This message was authored by: Eeeps

@Shaun.k wrote:

Hi @Eeeps, thank you for sharing the link to the other discussion, I have not completed the entire thread, but it would appear that I am not alone at all, many others experiencing the exact same issues. Almost all in that thread have confirmed that turning the router off for 20 minutes, and switching it back on again appears to work for 24 hours or so, which leads me to believe it is some software issue either in the router or managed by Sky. I will try this later (when the children are not online) and share my results. However, given my new router did not work resolve it, I am skeptical about this actually working, but again I am open to try anything at this stage.

Later in the thread the suggestion is that you only need to use the disconnect function of the router and then immediately reconnect. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Shaun.k to explain why a power down reboot might work.

Sky seem to use a large number of physical units which are scattered round the country to connect users to their network. These units have a number of functions but can go faulty when they do it typically it affects DNS traffic but it appears that on occasions these units can throttle throughput. When you power down your hub it cuts the connection if you leave it a few minutes you will normally be connected to a different physical unit - your public IP address also changes - hopefully the new unit is working properly. How long you need to wait depends on the time of day as the chance of getting the same connection is higher if fewer people are connecting and disconnecting. 

There is no evidence the issue is a firmware issue with the hubs and the almost random distribution of the issue would point to faulty physical units. Sky's network engineers will fix the dodgy units but as they are not in one place it takes a while. 

Given you continuing issues I am escalting you post to Sky as they need to be aware of your issue. Expect them to be in touch through the forum to offer a private online chat - a button will pop up on forum pages.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion