Discussion topic: Rolling contract equal affected service

This message was authored by AllisonR1985 This message was authored by: AllisonR1985

Rolling contract equal affected service

Recently my 18 month contract with sky was up and it has gone on to a rolling monthly contract, Sky was happy enough to bang up the Price to £36 per month but reduced the services, Upon testing my broadband speeds they state that my line can no longer produce the speeds i'm paying for unless i upgrade my services. What makes Sky think that by cutting anyones speeds / services in order to force them in to re-newing their packages will work ? I will either not be paying what they're looking for due to getting half a service or cancelling, Obviously a very untrustworth ISP.

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: Rolling contract equal affected service

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@AllisonR1985  Please can you post your router stats so the forum can advise on any issues. This link explains how to do that https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/td-p/2855717#

It's highly unlikely Sky have cut your speeds due to your discounted period ending.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

AllisonR1985
Topic Author
This message was authored by AllisonR1985 This message was authored by: AllisonR1985

AllisonR1985_0-1711621731618.png

AllisonR1985_2-1711622199838.png

I have also run their diagnostics which says for the last 4  days i have been getting 27mb, which is  when i hit the rolling contract. Had next to no issues until now. So i run their test and done everything it directed, says i'm back up and running, no change to speeds etc.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@AllisonR1985 

Your stats suggest you are still getting 77mbps. Have you actually run a speedtest via ethernet?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
AllisonR1985
Topic Author

yes i used the following sites https://fast.com  https://www.speedtest.net I have also checked the ethernet for any possible damage. There is no issues with the ethernet cable into the PC. I switched thr cable from Cat 7 to 8, I then unplugged the ethernet cable and run all the same tests via the wifi with the same end result. I have also Pinged bbc.co.uk and noticed i have packet loss.

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),

I 'm pretty stumped by it all. I will call them again after work. I will no doubt be palmed off as an idiot again though.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@AllisonR1985 wrote:  What makes Sky think that by cutting anyones speeds / services in order to force them in to re-newing their packages will work ? 

I'd observe that any ISP doing so would quite rightly be spanked by Ofcom: it's a highly regulated industry and that sort of behaviour simply isn't tolerated.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Eeeps This message was authored by: Eeeps

Looks like your line has been capped at half rate.

This has been seen a number of times by others where the connection rate to the modem is at or near full rate (like yours at 77Mb/s) but the throughput is capped.

What is your minimum downstream rate from your contract?

If greater that 27Mb/s then you can open a complaint with Sky.

If it was me I would simply leave for a cheaper provider - is there a reason you don't want to do that?

Your line looks reasonable and you will get similar high rates with other FTTC providers.

AllisonR1985
Topic Author

Maximum speeds 79mb, Guarenteed download Speeds 58.2mb and upload speed is 19mb. I have spoken to Sky on the phone and i was made out to be an idiot, so i thought i'd come to the forums help and information to help me along the way with the complaints. I really appreciate the information you guys have given me.

This message was authored by Eeeps This message was authored by: Eeeps

@AllisonR1985 wrote:

Maximum speeds 79mb, Guarenteed download Speeds 58.2mb and upload speed is 19mb. I have spoken to Sky on the phone and i was made out to be an idiot, so i thought i'd come to the forums help and information to help me along the way with the complaints. I really appreciate the information you guys have given me.

If anyone is an idiot it's Sky's customer service personnel rather than you.

The key evidence you have is the speed graph you have posted.

This is the actual download speed rather than the connection speed.

If you believe you have exhausted your discussions with customer service, then open a formal complaint with Sky (there is a web form for that) and attach their graph.

State that you want the situation resolving in a reasonable time frame (within 2 weeks).

Again, personally I would simply move provider - you'll get a much better deal and also get your speeds back.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion