Discussion topic: Replacement Modem for Sky Ultrafast - Ireland

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Replacement Modem for Sky Ultrafast - Ireland

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@moloneyr turning off thecwifi and DHCP should not affect the IP telephone service. Is the telephone light on the Hub showing green or amber or is it out?

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by moloneyr This message was authored by: moloneyr

Phone has a dial tone calls work just no incoming voice.

Have disabled sip and it hasn't made any difference 

RH1011
Topic Author
This message was authored by RH1011 This message was authored by: RH1011

I'm just picking up on this thread again to see if there have been any further developments using a third party router for BB and telephone without having the Sky Hub in the middle. I'm presuming the answer is still "no" and on that basis I'm thinking of getting a Deco X50 mesh system, connecting that in AP mode to the Sky Hub via network cable and turning off the WiFi settings in the Sky Hub. The hope is then to hardwire my Sky Q box and 1 mini' via the mesh APs and a second mini via a powerline adapter (connected to either one of the X50 AP's or the Sky Hub via network cable). 

Does anyone see any issues with this (again assuming there isn't a better solution).

I also believe you run into bigger problems trying to connect the Sky Q and mini's via WiFi in a mesh network system as they create a mesh network themselves and this is why I'm looking to hardwire then via the AP's and powerline adapter.

I'm in Ireland so don't have the same issues that users in the UK seem to have when choosing a replacement hub.

Any input would be appreciated.

@RH1011 no change in the Sky Talk service requiring a Sky hub. You proposed set up sounds fine. I use Deco kit myself in Access Point mode. Best approach is to hard wire Sky Q boxes which avoids issues.

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
RH1011
Topic Author

@Chrisee Thanks the response. So I picked up the X50's and having issues getting connected to the interne (steady red light). It's asking what type of connection I have and I believe in Ireland it's PPPoE so have selected that. Is there anything else that I should be entering into the settings? I can't set the X50 into AP mode until I've done this as far as I can see.

I also have the network cable connected to LAN port 1, presume that this doesn't make any difference. Also, I haven't turned off the WiFi in the sky hub yet either as think I'd read somewhere that you do this after the first mesh point is connected.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

@RH1011 you should be able to set the Deco unit up in access point mode see https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1842/  then you can update the firmware once connected via the Sky hub.

RH1011
Topic Author

@Chrisee unfortunately it's not giving me that option. When I open the App it tries to set up the X50 as a modem, I'll try complete the process without an internet connection to see if I can then change it to AP mode.

@RH1011 worked when I set up my Deco units try configuring them before connecting them to the Sky hub.

If you have to uodate them first sorry I dont know the Irish log in string unfortunately but you are right that its PPOE. Hopefully someone will be along who does.

RH1011
Topic Author

@Chrisee Thanks. Completely stumped, it just won't connect no matter what I do.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

RH1011
Topic Author

Just an update on this, finally managed to get it connected, don't really know how to be honest but I went into some other settings, select a port that the ethernet cable was to be connected to on the X50 and it connected for long enough for me to gain full access to the app to switch it to AP mode. 

Once that was done it was plain sailing getting everything else set up, definitely would have been easier if the set-up asked if it was to be set up as an AP.

Anyway, thanks to @Chrisee for the help.

RH1011
Topic Author

Further update on the above, whilst I have this all connected, I now keep getting "no internet connection" errors on devices that are connected via WiFi. Other than turning off WiFi in the Sky Hub, are there any other settings that need to be changed? Internet connection via wired devices connected to the X50'S is fine so there is access to the internet. This is happening on Android and iOS devices.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion