Discussion topic: Phone says weak security on WiFi

This message was authored by Ocker+hill This message was authored by: Ocker+hill

Phone says weak security on WiFi

Hi all of a sudden when I connect my phone to sky wifi it's saying weak security why is happening never done it before 

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Phone says weak security on WiFi

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Ocker+hill wrote:

why is happening never done it before 

If it's an iPhone then that's probably been triggered by an iOS update.

Sky Hubs, Sky Q Hubs and Sky Broadband Hubs cannot do WPA3 which Apple has arbitrarily decided is the minimum they consider to be strong enough.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@Ocker+hill wrote:

why is happening never done it before 

If it's an iPhone then that's probably been triggered by an iOS update.

Sky Hubs, Sky Q Hubs and Sky Broadband Hubs cannot do WPA3 which Apple has arbitrarily decided is the minimum they consider to be strong enough.

Ocker+hill
Topic Author
This message was authored by Ocker+hill This message was authored by: Ocker+hill

That's what I was thinking yesterday my iPhone had a massive update, so I think I can still use WiFi even though it's saying weak security I hope 

Ocker+hill
Topic Author

It's when you see a weak security it's makes people panic it did me , I just pray my information going through my WiFi router that nobody can see it basically that's all I need to calm me down really 👍

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Ocker+hill 

If your router is running WPA2-PSK (AES) then it's secure enough for any practical purpose: you'd need to be under attack from a state security agency or equivalent hostile actor for that not to be adequate.

If it's an out-of-support model or the security has been intentionally reduced from its default level then that would be cause for concern.

Apple have somewhat jumped the gun by advising WPA3 is required before almost any ISP has WiFi6/WPA3 hardware.

Ocker+hill
Topic Author

Thanks for your help & knowledge you sound like you know what your talking about, I know sod all about technology I'm not very knowledgeable on that sadly but , I hope my router is on what you say because I've messed with any settings because I don't have the knowledge basically thanks for your help , I feel a bit less worried, I was on sky today on phone for 2 hours, they didn't know what they were talking about many thanks 🙏 

This message was authored by Undisclosed213 This message was authored by: Undisclosed213

Yeah I need help with this too mine keeps saying it's on a WEP connection then keeps disconnecting my wifi and saying the password is wrong or keeps giving some sort of error anyone have any idea how I can fix this? 100% sure it's been triggered by an update but it is annoying me how can it not let me use my internet at all this is ridiculous I'm using the Sky Q internet hub 

This message was authored by Bernie26 This message was authored by: Bernie26

My sky router has changed to WEP setting and it is affecting some connections, such as online banking. How do you configure a more secure setting. Can this be done manually?

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Bernie26 if your hub has actually changed to WEP you can either simply do a full reset but pressing and holding in the reset pin until,the power led flashes which returns tge hub to its defaults which include WPA2-psk wireless encryption bit you will use any other user settings you have changed. You can also change tge setting innthecweb interface on tge Wireless tab.

Tge more interesting question is why it has changed could somebody have access to your wifi network and changed the setting?

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Rooneys+Derby This message was authored by: Rooneys+Derby

Any idea how I can change my Sky Router settings to get rid of the weak security settings message on my IPhone please?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Rooneys+Derby 

Only the Max Hub can do WPA3.  For other models it's important to check that they are using the default WPA2-PSK.

This message was authored by Rooneys+Derby This message was authored by: Rooneys+Derby

Thank you

Ocker+hill
Topic Author

The problem with WiFi is sorted now 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion