Discussion topic: OpenReach ONT optical port dodgy

This message was authored by windsor007 This message was authored by: windsor007

OpenReach ONT optical port dodgy

Hi there,

I've just moving into a new property and had my sky broadband activated.

I have plugged in the correct wires and i do have internet. 

However the optical wire port is so dodgy. I had to play around with the wire for ages to get the light to go green. Otherwise the LOS light would be red. Anytime the ONT gets knocked accidentally, game over. The internet drops and i have to wiggle the wire to find the perfect spot.

Can i get a engineer to come into my home to fix this issue? It's very frustrating as the box gets knocked often so my internet drops often.

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: OpenReach ONT optical port dodgy

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @windsor007 

You can try and call Sky to report it but until it becomes a permanent fault they may not come out to it. Note that optical cables & connectors are extremely fragile so knocking it often isnt going to do it any good anyway, the ONT should have been installed on a wall where it isnt disturbed. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@windsor007 wrote:

It's very frustrating as the box gets knocked often so my internet drops often.

As @jamesn123 says, the ONT isn't designed for repeated movement, and so it's perhaps not surprising that connection is dodgy.  If it's getting 'knocked' then it's really in the wrong place.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
windsor007
Topic Author
This message was authored by windsor007 This message was authored by: windsor007

Hi @TimmyBGood and @jamesn123,

When i moved in the box was hanging off the walk so is something I've inherited. When i say "knocked", i mean the slightest bit of movement will make it disconnect. Not ideal.

Just hoping openreach would come out to fix the issue as it is faulty.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@windsor007 

Its certainly something I would raise with Sky, its just I suspect they may not want to send an engineer if your connection works 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion