Discussion topic: Desperately wanting to change providers

This message was authored by JiveBunny0 This message was authored by: JiveBunny0

Desperately wanting to change providers

Hi community,

Im really trying to escape being trapped with our internet provider ( VM )  but struggling to find anyone else to be able to provide us service.

It appears half of our road can get Sky internet but the part i can in no coverage 😞

Can any one help at all as i feel like im being held at ransom.

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Desperately wanting to change providers

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@JiveBunny0 to get Sky broadband your home would require either a copper or fibre line from Openreach. Very few properties cannot get an Openreach line fitted even if they dont have one now. If you put your full address into the following checker and post the results after removing the reference to your address forum members can tell you more about your options see Openreach Checker

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
JiveBunny0
Topic Author
This message was authored by JiveBunny0 This message was authored by: JiveBunny0

Hi @Chrisee, I  did put my address in and apparently I cannot get it at my address.

Its strange as I'm not in the middle of no where I'm in the heart of a city 😩

looks like I'm held to ransom by VM 

This message was authored by mormegil This message was authored by: mormegil

Is it a relatively newly built property?

some developers have been known so sign exclusive deals with one telecoms provider for up to 10 years before they will be allowed to get anything else fitted

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@JiveBunny0 that is very unusual but as. @mormegil points out some developers put in restrictions preventing  Openreach from installing lines for a fixed period.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
JiveBunny0
Topic Author

Hi thank you for your reply.

nope we are in an old house and it survived the U.K WW2 air raids ( the whole street did ) 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@JiveBunny0 

What exactly does the checker say? Would be useful if you posted a screenshot of the results

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@JiveBunny0 

Spefifically Sky-branded broadband isn't necessarily available everywhere (it isn't here, for example) but in general there's a right for every property to access the Openreach data network.  It would be very unusual, particularly at an older address, for there to be no cabling at all, although capacity for additional new provision at a cabinet may be a different issue.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion