Discussion topic: ONT move in new house

This message was authored by J-mac This message was authored by: J-mac

ONT move in new house

Hi all,

I've moved in about a month ago and would like the ONT moved from a mouldy cupboard in a back bedroom that is earmarked to be ripped out to somewhere more sensible.

I called sky and they said ONT rellocations aren't possible only masterpoint moves.

Anyone have any success getting and ONT shifted?  I'm expecting a charge anyway so at this point my only choice seems to be have a crack myself then if I mess it up at least they'll be able to send an openreach engineer out to fix it.

It seems from BT forums people have sucessfully requested an openreach ONT move through their provider so its strange that Sky doesn't allow this.

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: ONT move in new house

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@J-mac 

Per your last post . Sky can't book it as theres no option. However if you persevere they can book it as a mastersocket relocation with extra notes

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
J-mac
Topic Author

Some info from @cookiemonsteruk on another thread.
https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Moving-the-ONT/m-p/4508470/highlight/false#M367831

I'll call again and see if they can put through as a masterpoint move and report back.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@J-mac wrote:

I'm expecting a charge anyway so at this point my only choice seems to be have a crack myself then if I mess it up at least they'll be able to send an openreach engineer out to fix it.

That would generally be unwise, and only possible within the range of the existing fibre length anyway.

As I posted in the other thread, an optical patch to a fibre extension is essentially risk-free if done carefully: alternatively extending from the ONT over longer ethernet (or even Powerline networking) is quite possible.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
J-mac
Topic Author

I called back and got a different operator who put it through no problem and I was done in 10 mins.

If anyone needs the same 0333 7594 159 was the number, cost £65 and dates from openreach should be about 10 working days away.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@J-mac I would not try moving the ONT youself the unit is linked to an external CSU box by a fibre pigtail which is not like a standard cable and is quite easy to break. One point while the ONT is a poor place your hub does not have to be near the ONT the two are linked by a standard ethernet cable which can be as long as you need (ok 100m is the max)

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion