Discussion topic: New to sky+New hub

This message was authored by Chappo777 This message was authored by: Chappo777

New to sky+New hub

Hi,

We recently moved into our new home and have opted to go with sky ultrafast for our broadband.

The activation date was today and we have received the text, however we are still just getting the power and wifi lights being a solid green and no light whatsoever on the internet.

All the connections are in and correct. We have the broadband plugged into an open reach socket via a microfilter. We have tried unplugging, re plugging and resetting, but still no luck.

Any ideas?

thanks.

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: New to sky+New hub

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Chappo777 

As @cookiemonsteruk indicates, 'ONT exists' means the 'phone' socket in your picture is obsolete and can be ignored.

Look for a very thin cable with a green rectangular jack, typically near a power socket.  There may be screws adjacent for a wall mount.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

Are you sure that you have the ultrafast product from sky?

And if so that would normally or possibly be delivered via the FTTP,

If you are connected to the Openreach telephone with the micro filter that would suggest that you

maybe in the wrong connection as this combo is for FTTC superfast broadband.

Also note that it can take upto midnight and the message that it is active may not be 100% acurate.

If you have an openreach fibre connection this is called an ONT and the broadband router

connection is via the RJ45 connector, it has 8 pins that you can count, it is NOT the standard

telephone connection.

You may have to look around your home just incase there is one...

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

@Chappo777 

Download Sky Broadband user manuals | Sky Help | Sky.com

This will also show you the two different options for connection if you want to look at it.

Chappo777
Topic Author

Hi there @JimM1, thanks for getting back to me. 

I've just attached some pictures of the current setup/what I've got plugged in. Note the black cable is act from our previous router as we didn't get a black or grey cable delivered to us with our hub as mentioned on the setup instructions you linked. 

there are no other connections of this type in the house.

thanks again.

IMG_5049.jpeg

IMG_5050.jpeg

IMG_5051.jpeg

IMG_5052.jpeg

IMG_5053.jpeg

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Chappo777 

That's absolutely not correct for any Ultrafast over FTTP.  It might be viable for 150Mbs 'Ultrafast 1' on G.fast, except that's the wrong Openreach faceplate for G.fast delivery.

If you're sure you've ordered an Ultrafast service then we have to assume the necessary in-premises work hasn't been carried out yet.

Chappo777
Topic Author

Ahh ok, thanks for your reply.

What would you suggest my next course of action be then?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Chappo777 

I think you'll need to contact Sky and establish what it is they think has been provisioned.

Putting the address into the BT Wholesale Availability Checker should indicate which provisioning type is applicable.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome 

It's the table and the two text lines below it which are most useful.

Remove any personal information (such as the address itself) if you post an image.

Chappo777
Topic Author

Thanks again for your reply.

I've attached a screenshot of my results in the chekcer that you linked. I'm not particularly sure what any of it means as I'm not clued up at all on this stuff, hence my attempted order and setup probably.

On the sky app it says that my package is the Sky Ultrafast 1.

Thanks.

71da5fbf-d8e6-4eaf-bf47-318b376a589b.png

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Chappo777 

What speed are you getting at the minute?

The vdsl row shows you should get 80Mbps any way but as wbc fttp shows available its likely you will get that via fttp.  

What other equipment was sent out? Did you get an ethernet cable ? Has an ont been installed

nokia_ONT_fttp_openreach.jpg

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Chappo777 

PS the notes do say an ont does exist

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

Chappo777
Topic Author

I haven't checked my speed as I'm not able to access the internet through the router, I'm currently tethering through my phone's hotspot.

An ethernet cable was sent with the router, yes. After a quick google I can confirm that I have not seen or have any knowledge of an ONT being installed on my property.

Thanks again for your reply @cookiemonsteruk 

@Chappo777 

In the absense of the ont fibre modem you won't get a signal.  It is possible that the previous residents have made off with the ont and you will need to contact sky for a new one. 

Chappo777
Topic Author

 is it possible that the attached photo is the cable that the ONT was previously plugged in on? There is nothing else there other than some TV Ariel wiring and what I had attempted to plug the router in as shown in previous pictures.

How do I go about arranging/installing a new ONT?

thanks again for your help.

IMG_5057.jpeg

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@Chappo777 

As @cookiemonsteruk indicates, 'ONT exists' means the 'phone' socket in your picture is obsolete and can be ignored.

Look for a very thin cable with a green rectangular jack, typically near a power socket.  There may be screws adjacent for a wall mount.

@Chappo777 wrote:

 is it possible that the attached photo is the cable that the ONT was previously plugged in on? 

That's the one, yes. Unfortunately it's likely that the departing occupant has made off with the ONT itself, which is distressingly common.  You'll need to contact Sky for them to book a replacement through Openreach.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion