Discussion topic: My partner is exasperated as our Sky Shield is preventing her works Sonic Wall VPN from connecting

This message was authored by whizzkid1 This message was authored by: whizzkid1

My partner is exasperated as our Sky Shield is preventing her works Sonic Wall VPN from connecting

The Sky Shield is preventing the VPN from connecting. We have added it to exceptions with no success .  We don't wish to disable Sky Shield . We can't find anyone at Sky with an answer and they are suggesting we contact the VPN provider . What can we do ? All help and advice greatly appreciated 

All Replies

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: My partner is exasperated as our Sky Shield is preventing her works Sonic Wall VPN from connecti

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@whizzkid1 

Has your partner contacted her company IT department to see what they say? They may have seen this issue previously. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
whizzkid1
Topic Author

Re: My partner is exasperated as our Sky Shield is preventing her works Sonic Wall VPN from connecti

Oh Yes ! 6 different people from their IT department have tried and failed to solve the issue and now they are passing us on to Sky 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@whizzkid1 

The Sky broadband Shield exceptions can be dodgy sometimes you may find you'll have to disable it completely to get the VPN to work. Have you confirmed it at least works while disabled?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
whizzkid1
Topic Author

Thank you . It does work when the Shield is disabled. We really don't want to leave it disabled though for obvious security reasons 

@whizzkid1 

What level do you have it set to normally? If not on the lowest have you tried it on the lowest?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
whizzkid1
Topic Author

It's set at 18 which we believe is the most likely to let everything through . Do you think it might work at PG or 13 ? 

@whizzkid1 

No it would be worse at PG.

As I said before Sky Shield isnt perfect and sometimes the exceptions just wont work for some things. Unless your partners work can figure out a set of exceptions that will let the VPN through you may have to disable it.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
whizzkid1
Topic Author

Or try another broadband provider which is looking more and more like the only solution sadly 

This message was authored by Colin0000 This message was authored by: Colin0000

@whizzkid1 wrote:

Or try another broadband provider which is looking more and more like the only solution sadly 

And what if another companies software causes the same exact issue?

Sky Shield isn't up to much anyway, junk it.

Sky Q 2GB 32B106 - HDMI to TV, hard wired to router with WiFi disabled on the Q box
Sky Ultrafast1 FTTP 150Mbps
Sky SR203 router
Samsung S95C 55"
whizzkid1
Topic Author

It's only employees using Sky that have the problem unfortunately. Like I say it's exasperating. Thanks for your help though 

This message was authored by Chloe-W22 This message was authored by: Chloe-W22

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @whizzkid1,

Apologies for only seeing your post now, but there is some online help content for sites you feel are wrongly being blocked by the Broadband Shield, please see here.

By setting the Broadband Shield to 18, this will block 'Phishing & malware' so it sounds like something in the VPN is setting off red flags somewhere with the shield. Step 2 in the link provides some guidance on getting this checked, and how to set this up as one of your 'allowed' sites for now.

Thanks

Chloe-W22

Community Manager

Have a story you want to share with us? Send your Thanks to Sky here

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@whizzkid1 while Broadbsnd Shield gives some limited protection from some threats it is not a replacement for a decent Internet Security suite which runs on your devices. If you have something like Bit Defender, Norton etc I would not think that the Shield adds much more protection. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion