Discussion topic: Mesh system with Sky FTTP

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Mesh system with Sky FTTP

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@robotdave 

Sounds like a question for the Google forums/support. If the WiFi unit itself is getting the speed from the Sky hub which you've confirmed by running a test on it then obviously you need to look at the actual WiFi signal being produced by the Google WiFi units. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by stevemace This message was authored by: stevemace

Just to confirm some of your queries. I have Sky fttp (gigafast) and I have my Google Nest WiFi router plugged directly into the ONT. It works perfectly. You may need to go into your settings on the Nest router and turn on IPV6 to get it to work though. 

This message was authored by TomS14 This message was authored by: TomS14

Hello,

any other settings required ? Getting my fttp tomorrow and have google mesh wifi .. don't ideally want to spend the whole day getting this to work .. 

previous setup was I replaced the old sky q router with a tp link router .. wifi off on tp link and used google mesh .. I think I did have a double nat but all worked fine 

Assuming you already have the Google mesh WiFi, go into the network settings in the home app, then advanced network settings and make sure IPV6 is enabled. Do that before you switch over. Then once the FTTP ont has been installed, just plug the Google mesh directly into the ont (not the back of the Sky hub) and you should be good to go. I've actually got the newer Nest WiFi hub but I'm guessing it's the same process. 

Thanks for this, I would have just followed the old setup .. appreciate the reply 

So is there no need for anotuer router at all ? Just google wifi primary router into the ont? 

Yes mate, exactly that. I've just got the Nest hub direct into the ont. The Sky hub isn't used at all. Whoever comes to fit the ont will need to connect the Sky hub up to sign the visit off but once they've gone, just unplug it and plug your Google mesh in. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@stevemace @TomS14 

Just to say we've been advised this isn't guaranteed to work everywhere as it relies on a particular form of Openreach technology deployment upstream of the subscription address.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Is there a way to find out .. can I dream to open reach or sky ? If so what am I asking them?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@TomS14 

Unfortunately no-one you'd be able to reach would have a clue.

From memory I think the figure given was about 80% coverage.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion