Discussion topic: Is changing activation date possible

This message was authored by Purpleivan This message was authored by: Purpleivan

Is changing activation date possible

This message does start with some stuff about house buying (to explain my situation), but I do get to a couple of questions about signup and activation with Sky broadband at the end.

My situation

I'm in the late stages of buying a house and plan on signing up with Sky for FTTP broadband (Ultrafast Plus) there. I am pretty confident that completion on the house will happen late the week before Easter, or the early the week after, but it's likely to be at fairly short notice (about 1 week), from knowing the completion date of the purchase and actually completing of the house.

If I wait until I'm certain of the completion date to arrange my broadband connection, then that connection probably won't be activated until a week or so after I move in.

To reduce my time without broadband access after I move in, I'm thinking of signing up with Sky tomorrow to get a head start on the process. If the "10 working days" advice for the time between signup and a connection going live is correct, I should have an active connection by Wednesday 3rd April (accounting a couple of working days lost due to public holidays days around Easter).

The seller has already vacated the property, so should have already cancelled their connection with whichever broadband provider they use (I'll be confirming that tomorrow), but I don't know when their contract period ends (I assume they''ll be on 30 days notice for that) and possibly their contract period could end sometime after I would become the owner of the house.

So I have a couple of questions in relation this this situation.

Questions

1. If I arrange a connection date with Sky but my house purchase takes a few days longer than  expected, is it possible to postpone activation by a few days?

2. If the previous owner's notice period for cancelling their broadband contract has not expired by the time my Sky connection is due to be activated, is Sky able provide that connection (as by then I'd be the owner of the house) or is it blocked until the previous owner's contract ends?

Any answers much appreciated.

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Is changing activation date possible

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Purpleivan 

In that case I'd think ordering as soon as possible, and accepting a few days of overpayment rather than a delay on arrival.  One issue may be that Hub delivery would be to the new address though.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Purpleivan 

Is there already the infrastructure for an FTTP connection at the address?

If not, it can't be installed while the property is unoccupied: there needs to be someone present to give permission for the required work

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Purpleivan 

Putting the address into the BT Wholesale Availability Checker should indicate which provisioning type is applicable.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome 

It's the table and the two text lines below it which are most useful.

Remove any personal information (such as the address itself) if you post an image.

Purpleivan
Topic Author
This message was authored by Purpleivan This message was authored by: Purpleivan

Hi @TimmyBGood .

The infrastructure is there (see image below).

FTTP connection.jpg

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@Purpleivan 

In that case I'd think ordering as soon as possible, and accepting a few days of overpayment rather than a delay on arrival.  One issue may be that Hub delivery would be to the new address though.

Purpleivan
Topic Author

That sounds ok, not too concerned about a few days paying for service when I'm not there, if completion date for the house gets delayed.

Depending on how early delivery of the Hub would be, either I would be there already, or if I wasn't I assume I'd be able to see from tracking info that delivery had been attempted and could arrange a redelivery date, or collect it myself if that was an option.

Thanks for the help.

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

@Purpleivan When doing your confirming, i would see if possible if anyone is checking the property that the ONT+PSU has been left behind, seems a lot of people are taking it with them ONT and/or it's PSU.

Just something else, as sky will not deal with that until active...

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion