Discussion topic: Internet speeds drop when q is connected

This message was authored by misterpj This message was authored by: misterpj

Internet speeds drop when q is connected

Got sky fiber hub (tried 2 - tried 2nd fresh from box today with nothing connected via Wi-Fi or lan)

Router and q connected via port 2 router (tried 3 and 4 too) cat 5 to netgear gs308 switch then cat 5 to devices  (switch new as thought previous tp link switch was faulty - doubt it is now)

connected laptop to switch and get 900-1200 download speed

connect q box to same switch (and cable or second cable) and speed drops to less than 400 on laptop and everything else on this network drops speed - unplug q box and all speeds up back ok to 900-1200 on everything 

sky came out yesterday and we tried second q box. All perfect 900mb plus with q box connected- speed ok until we inserted viewing card and "paired box" when it dropped to under 400 -  Put old box in and fine until card paired again?

with q plugged in and network throttled if I plug laptop into port 3 (and q etc in port 2) of router speed is fine

(q box 00select and Wi-Fi 2 and 5 g are both off)

tried factory reset q box and connect it via Wi-Fi - just get technical fault with all channels- even though q box has successfully connected to wifi (tried twice with technical on phone) 

factory reset again (3rd time) and reconnect lan and it allows tv to be viewed, but all network/lan is 300-400 at best

in essence I've tried  2 sky routers, 2 q boxes, 2 switch, many different cat 5 cables and it still loses 60% speed when q box is plugged into lan? Reset q box and fine until gets card inserted and starts to activate/pair?

tried over several days (and after factory reset - there was no downloads or anything happening)

sky technical can't seem to solve it? 

any suggestions please 

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Internet speeds drop when q is connected

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@misterpj 

This seems to be a long standing issue with Q boxes over ethernet. There is a few long time forum members that suffer the same issue

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
misterpj
Topic Author

Shame q box refuses to work when connected to wifi

reset. It pairs automatically via wps on startup and says connect to Internet in settings menu 

when you try any channel you get "technical fault"

once you reset and connect to Ethernet you can watch tv again

This message was authored by dmy24 This message was authored by: dmy24

Hi there, I will escalate this to our community chat for you. Please look out for an email or chat bubble. We look forward to speaking to you 🙂 

misterpj
Topic Author

Sky booster 4 also throttles network by 60% back to router port. 

This message was authored by Mr+Flibbles+86 This message was authored by: Mr+Flibbles+86

Posted by a Sky employee

Update – Thanks for chatting to us. Unfortunately, there was no further response on the chat in 48 hours, we are still waiting to help you. If you need our support let us know and we can re-escalate to our chat team. Your chat has been closed now. Thank you

misterpj
Topic Author

Plugging sky q or sky booster 4 into lan still reduces lan throughput/ Internet speed by 60%. So 40% of speed with these disconnected 

sky q on Wi-Fi without booster is really slow and not viable 

Sky technical helped get q on Wi-Fi but it's not stable enough. 

Need it on the Ethernet/lan or via Wi-Fi booster to be an option 

This message was authored by John+B1 This message was authored by: John+B1

I have same issue but with sky booster and and mini box. My pc runs a speed test to inyernet at 900mgb. As soon as I plug the booster and mini box , speeds drop down to 200. It makes no sense on a 1gig ethetnet network . 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@John+B1 

It is well documented that plugging in any sort of Sky Q gear/Sky booster to ethernet can have the knock on affect of slowing down the rest of the wired network. If you are wanting the highest wired speeds you need to run the Sky Q gear over WiFi.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion