Discussion topic: I’m paying for the broadband and what I’m paying it’s to supposed to be 900 and I get 100mbps

This message was authored by Mgriff04 This message was authored by: Mgriff04

I’m paying for the broadband and what I’m paying it’s to supposed to be 900 and I get 100mbps

I'm m paying for the broadband and what I’m paying it’s to supposed to be 900 mbps and I get 100mbps and help would be helpful 

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: I’m paying for it so I should get what I’m paying for and measuring WiFi

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mgriff04 wrote:

I’m paying for it so I should get what I’m paying for

You aren't paying for 900Mbs WiFi: you're paying for that much bandwidth being delivered on optical cabling as far as the ONT, then over ethernet cable to the router.  That's the same for all ISPs on the Openreach network.

Anything like 900Mbs wirelessly simply isn't possible without both the router and the client device being specified to the WiFi 6 (802.11ax) standard: the previous generation WiFi technology (802.11ac) cannot carry such speed. 

Even with WiFi 6, gigabit speed from a router is rather unlikely on the other side of a wall:  some fairly fundamental physics relating to the attenuation of wireless signal when travelling through solid objects applies.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: I’m paying for the broadband and what I’m paying it’s to supposed to be 900 and I get 100mbps

@Mgriff04 

Are you measuring that over ethernet or WiFi?

If ethernet, is the client device definitely gigabit rather than 100baseT?

Note that only the Sky Max Hub has WiFi 6: you won't get anything like 900Mbs over WiFi from a previous model.  Client devices must be WiFi 6 as well to benefit from that technology.

Mgriff04
Topic Author

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@Mgriff04 wrote:

I’m paying for it so I should get what I’m paying for

You aren't paying for 900Mbs WiFi: you're paying for that much bandwidth being delivered on optical cabling as far as the ONT, then over ethernet cable to the router.  That's the same for all ISPs on the Openreach network.

Anything like 900Mbs wirelessly simply isn't possible without both the router and the client device being specified to the WiFi 6 (802.11ax) standard: the previous generation WiFi technology (802.11ac) cannot carry such speed. 

Even with WiFi 6, gigabit speed from a router is rather unlikely on the other side of a wall:  some fairly fundamental physics relating to the attenuation of wireless signal when travelling through solid objects applies.

Mgriff04
Topic Author

Re: I’m paying for the broadband and what I’m paying it’s to supposed to be 900 and I get 100mbps

Is there a way to simplify this message 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Mgriff04 

How about " Broadband is not the same thing as WiFi " ?

Mgriff04
Topic Author

How do I go on then with broadband on 

@Mgriff04 

Essentially you need to accept that you'll never get the same speed over WiFi as you're paying for at the router: that's what ethernet cable is for.

To find out what speed is actually arriving at the router needs an ethernet-cabled device with a gigabit chipset.

Also important to understand that very few wireless devices need anything like a gigafast internet connection: really only gaming PCs / consoles do, and they should be on ethernet anyway.  Streaming UHD Netflix takes about 30Mbs.

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

@TimmyBGood 

Not sure if it is allowed to reference other material, but there is a very good description at Duckware

Understanding WiFi xxxxx  bit of a read but really good.

extract

In summary: Wi-Fi can only operate as fast as the least capable Wi-Fi device in a 'conversation',
which almost always is your client device (and not the router).

KEY Wi-Fi concept: Client devices often limit speeds, not the router/AP.

The weakest link in Wi-Fi is YOUR client device: You have 1 Gbps Internet, and just bought a very
expensive AX11000 class router with advertised speeds of up to 11 Gbps, but when you run a speed
test from your iPhone XS Max (at a distance of around 32 feet), you only get around 450 Mbps (±45
Mbps). Same for iPad Pro. Same for Samsung Galaxy S8. Same for a laptop computer. Same for most
wireless clients. Why? Because that is the speed expected from these (2×2 MIMO) devices! This
section explains in great detail exactly why that is.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion