Discussion topic: I have superfast fibre optic broadband it has been connected in the street via a bt connection.

This message was authored by Samantha57 This message was authored by: Samantha57

I have superfast fibre optic broadband it has been connected in the street via a bt connection.

As this has been done surely I do not need to pay for an unused land line. Can someone please help??

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: I have superfast fibre optic broadband it has been connected in the street via a bt connection.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Samantha57 wrote:

On my bill my landline is charged separately 🤔

Yea, because Sky bundles a PAYG voice service alongside broadband, so technically the data bearer becomes a 'landline' (which is obsolete terminology).  As long as you aren't also paying for a call bundle such as Sky Talk Anytime this doesn't cost an additional amount to 'just broadband'.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Re: I have superfast fibre optic broadband it has been connected in the street via a bt connection.

@Samantha57The line rental aspect of your subscription is now in with your broadband. If you pay for calls and are not using your landline you can go down to pay-as-you-go. So no calls means no charge.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Samantha57 

Rental is paid for the data bearer circuit, whether that's copper or optical: it's a historical anomaly of the telecoms industry that this is listed as a separate element to the broadband service.  Unfortunately online advice to 'cancel an unused landline and save money' is essentially incorrect.

Samantha57
Topic Author
This message was authored by Samantha57 This message was authored by: Samantha57

A family member has fibre broadband with UWH but has a sky TV package. She doesn't have a land phone or get charged for her landline through UWH. Thats what made me question it with sky. On my bill my landline is charged separately 🤔

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@Samantha57 wrote:

On my bill my landline is charged separately 🤔

Yea, because Sky bundles a PAYG voice service alongside broadband, so technically the data bearer becomes a 'landline' (which is obsolete terminology).  As long as you aren't also paying for a call bundle such as Sky Talk Anytime this doesn't cost an additional amount to 'just broadband'.

Samantha57
Topic Author

Thankyou...answered

Thankyou, I dont get charged for my pay as you go talk bundle. I get it now. Thanks for your help 👍 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion