Discussion topic: Gigabit switch connection using sky hub

This message was authored by APC82 This message was authored by: APC82

Gigabit switch connection using sky hub

Hi, I've recently had lots of cabling done around the house to allow data transfer to various different rooms. This is all intended to be managed by an unmanaged switch but the devices do not appear to be able to detect an internet connection. The various ports that are connected are suggesting a data transfer (flashing LED) but when trying to connect the specific device (i.e. PlayStation) it is unable to connect directly to the internet. 

I have the Sky Hub ethernet connected to the switch and then various other devices also connected to the switch. I'm sure there's something i'm doing wrong but have no idea what it might  be!

Can anyone help? Thanks!

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Gigabit switch connection using sky hub

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@APC82 check the cable from the Sky hub to the switch as if no device can connect that is suspect. Depending who installed the wiring it is very easy to make a mess if inexperienced hopefully they tested all of the connections.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@APC82 

Is it a managed or unmanaged switch?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
APC82
Topic Author

It's an unmanaged switch (TP Link; TL-SG1016D).

Any ideas? I thought it was just 'plug and play'?!

APC82
Topic Author

Thanks - some of the ethernet cables that are attached are showing flashing LED's on their ports which suggests that data is being transferred but i'm not sure where?! Could that still mean faulty cabling?

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@APC82 if you type 192.168.0.1 into a browser on one ofvtge devices does the hub's web interface load? If it doesnt it implies the devices cannot connect to the hub so it is thst connection you need to check.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

@APC82 

Yeah that one should be plug & play.

I would check your main uplink cable (The one between the hub & switch). Make sure its got all 4 pairs wired up and is Cat5e or above.

Can you also please post your router stats?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
APC82
Topic Author

Thanks - I've checked the cable and switched a cat5 cable for a cat5e cable but not a lot has changed!

😞

Stats below - your help is greatly appreciated! Should I order a bunch of cat6 cables or would this make little/no difference?

APC82_0-1706190366686.png

@APC82 

The only thing that jumps out at me there is the 9 collision packets you have on the LAN. Now 9 collisions on its own isnt an issue as such but the fact that you have any may suggest something isnt quite right with the setup. 

If you take the cable thats currently connecting the switch to the hub & connect it to a single client device, does it work as normal?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
APC82
Topic Author

Have tried that on the web browser on ps4 but 'not connected to internet'. So, the connection between hub and switch is faulty? Even though some LED's on the ports are flashing suggesting data is being transferred (somewhere?)?! 

APC82
Topic Author

So connect from the switch to a single client device (i.e. laptop?) or connect from the hub directly to the device?

I experimented with the PS4 connection where the socket is upstairs and when I connect this directly to the sky hub, it recognisies a LAN connection - but not when it's going through the switch. I've also tried connecting my laptop through the switch (i.e. only one ethernet connection from the sky hub to the switch and then one through to the laptop and it recognises its connected but cannot transmit any data.

Does that help?

@APC82 

Yes that helps that tells us that the switch is definitely the problem. If you connect your Sky hub directly to the port that connects your PS4 and it works but then doesnt when the switch is inbetween its definitely the switch thats the problem. 

The only thing I can think of to suggest at the moment is to get another switch (different model & ideally different brand) to test to see if you have the same issues.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
APC82
Topic Author

Thanks... and is unmanaged the way forward (in your humble opinion)? given that it's a fairly basic home network? Trying to keep it is simple as possible! 🙂

@APC82 

Yes certainly unmanaged. Its a rare a residential consumer needs the options a managed switch offers, additionally Sky hubs hate managed switches.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
APC82
Topic Author

Thanks - have ordered a new switch and will try again tomorrow! Will reply to this if I can't resolve it to see if you can offer any further insight. Appreciate all your help and comments so far!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion