Discussion topic: Gaming

This message was authored by Alversities This message was authored by: Alversities

Gaming

I experience extreme lag and ping on online multiplayer games. I have done everything on the Xbox side of things to change it , but nothin works, others in the house don't have the same issue but they are slightly closer to the broadband box . This issue completely ruins multiplayer online gaming for me, but is fine for the Peiple in the room next to mine 

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Gaming

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Alversities using wifi to play games is always going to be poor as the signal can be affected by interference but if you have multiple people playing using a Sky hub at the same time where the issue can be the capacity of the hub to cope with multiple users.

If possible ethernet cables are the best solution to interference issues failing that buying powerline adapters can help. The multiple user issue may require buying a gaming router with QOS that optimises transmission of gaming data..  However if you are on a slow connection of say around 30Mb/s no kit can overcome that restriction unfortunately.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by miless This message was authored by: miless

are you using the new white "wifi max" router by any chance?

Alversities
Topic Author
This message was authored by Alversities This message was authored by: Alversities

No, black broadband box. Would a Wi-Fi booster help

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Alversities actually adding a boister could make things worse as the second jump adds further latency. Improving wifi signal by making sure your hub and x box are not boxed in or under other kit should help a bit. Rebootingbthe hub may also help as it will try to find thecwifi channel with the least interference.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Alversities
Topic Author

Thank you, to add,

I'll try to draw a room layout ( all on one floor to show you)

(Friends room - no issues).        (Wi-Fi box)

(My room- issues)

I have no problem on single player games , but all online games experience roughly 300ms ping even when on local servers. Sometimes it calms down a bit, the broadband box is in the far right corner of the room under some draws. 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Alversities 

Unfortunately its just the nature of WiFi, just because it works on one floor/room does not mean the signal quality is the same in another. 

Have you considered using powerline/homeplugs?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion