Discussion topic: Fibre broadband access to apps issue

This message was authored by Derek+Lester This message was authored by: Derek+Lester

Fibre broadband access to apps issue

I have had fibre broadband for around 10 days now, when the router boots it runs at around 450 mbps, then after a few hours the speed starts to tail off, down to less than 100 mbps and I cannot access certain web pages and some apps won't run on the ipad. Unplugging the router and restarting it restores everything again for a while. 

Any ideas what's going on?

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Fibre broadband access to apps issue

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Derek+Lester unless its a very obscure hub fault I would look into your network set up especially the wifi link to the iPad. Rebooting the hub forces it to find the least congested wifi channel but if you are in an area where multiple neighbour's networks are in range then like wack-a-mole they also switch. 

Apple devices like iPads dont allow third party wifi analyzer apps but you can get an idea of what networks are in range by configuring Apples Airport Utility to allow scanning (look in the app's section in Settings) you will get a list of networks in decreasing signal strength another network using the same or adjacent channel will interfere with your network if tge signal is strong enough. In some situations like blocks of flats there are no clear channels.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Derek+Lester
Topic Author
This message was authored by Derek+Lester This message was authored by: Derek+Lester

Hi Chrisee,

Many thanks for the response, we don't live anywhere near anyone else and there are no other wifi networks nearby. I have network analysys tools on my PC and can see that the wifi is configured using the best channels. One of my PC's is plugged directly into the hub itself and it still cannot load certain web sites, including the BT Wholesale web speed test page.

Not sure what is going on?

@Derek+Lester There are multiple possible causes for interference other than wifi networks which  is the still the most likely explanation but ask. Sky for a new hub. Interference from non wifi sources wont show up on the apps and the cause can be another device using wireless or a fuorescent light etc etc . You can of course check the connection to the hub over a direct ethernet link. 

Given Sky dont use BT Wholsale's network they have their own that might explain why that speedtest won't run . I find Fast.com or Speedtest.net reasonably reliable. Check your Sky Broadband Shield settings in the My Sky app as Sky set these to Age13 by default for new connections which will block some apps.

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Derek+Lester
Topic Author

Hi Chrisee,

SKY sent me a new hub and it has the same issue, so it's not the hub. Having said that, I didn't have this issue before I moved to fibre, so it might be a WAN issue?

@Derek+Lester highly unlikely but using a speedtest on a directly wired PC would show you. Full fibre is not prone to slow downs beyond potential contention issues which would cause slow downs at peak times while these are theoretically possible they are extremly rare in practice.

The more you post the more likely its an interference issue but they can be a pain to find without a proper spectrum analyser. The source is most likely local if you can eliminate other wifi networks. In the past everything from a dodgy microwave to a set of Aquarium lights have been the culprits. 

Derek+Lester
Topic Author

Hi,

So I have been testing the wired connections network, I have three netgear routers and unplugged them all from the SKY hub, just having 1 PC connected the internet runs at around 525 mbps, connecting the router with the SKY Q box and SKY mini boxes dropped it to around 480. Connecting a second netgear router directly to the SKY hub with another PC attached brings down the speed to around 350 on the original and the 2nd PC.

Adding the third router to the SKY hub, with ip cameras attached, brings it down to 280 on the 2 pc's, however repeated tests on the PC gives vastly different speeds, anything from around mid 80's to 420.

@Derek+Lester I think you have answered your own question the issue is linked to the apoarently complex network topology you are using. This is way beyond my knowledge level as I was taught one router per network. Where you need extra Ethernet connections use ethernet switches preferrably unmanaged ones not redundant routers..

Derek+Lester
Topic Author

Sorry, the netgears I am using are switches.

It's not so much the initial speed I am worried about, it is the degradation in performance over a day or two.

That and the numerous web addresses that won't load now I am on fibre, which were fine on copper. There must be differences in using the WAN port.

@Derek+Lester that is a relief hopefully the switches are the simple unmanaged variety as managed switches could cause issues. Certainly I have never had any issue myself with variable speeds;. 

Have you checked the Sky Broadband Shield settings as that is the most common cause of blocked sites but using setting up,a public DNS on your main devices may help. I use Google's myself at 4.4.4.4 and 4.4.8.8. If you give a few examples of sites that dont load forum members can try them using their Sky connections.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Derek+Lester 

Are you seeing collision packets on the hub stats? Often happens when using multiple switches with Sky Q.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Derek+Lester
Topic Author

All resolved now, it was a faulty wireless extender causing issues with traffic over the internet.

Received a new one and all is OK now.

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Derek+Lester 

This can occur also if you have ruled out everything else when the splice on the fibre hasn't been done correctly and water or dirt gets into a connector to the fibre, the light in the fibre then doesn't align correctly down the fibre. It isn't a very common fault but does occur with intermittent connectivity occasionally. The fault if it is present is usually on new installations rather than one that have been running for sometime.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion