Discussion topic: Broadband power cable too short

This message was authored by Patricia1234 This message was authored by: Patricia1234

Broadband power cable too short

Persuaded by Sky to upgrade to new broadband service which requires a new router. Advised at point of order that I needed a 2m cable if my current on (provided by Sky ) is not compatible. I was told that it was. Consequently my router arrived and my current Sky power cable is not compatible as it's a figure of 8 connection and the new router (4.2) has a single point connection. Sky technical section say they cannot supply me with a 2m cable having done so before and cannot offer me a solution other than moving my power socket which would have to be halfway up the wall which I'm not prepared to do. I'm supposedly a VIP diamond customer 30 yes plus but a large organisation cannot source a 2m power cable. What do I do?

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Broadband power cable too short

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Patricia1234 

They dont provide extra power cables. Even if a routers power cable gets damaged they cant even provide a replacement, the whole router gets replaced. Its simply not a stock Item Sky carry, the routers come boxed up with all accessories 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

@Patricia1234 wrote:

Persuaded by Sky to upgrade to new broadband service which requires a new router. Advised at point of order that I needed a 2m cable if my current on (provided by Sky ) is not compatible. I was told that it was. Consequently my router arrived and my current Sky power cable is not compatible as it's a figure of 8 connection and the new router (4.2) has a single point connection. Sky technical section say they cannot supply me with a 2m cable having done so before and cannot offer me a solution other than moving my power socket which would have to be halfway up the wall which I'm not prepared to do. I'm supposedly a VIP diamond customer 30 yes plus but a large organisation cannot source a 2m power cable. What do I do?

@Patricia1234 

What router did you upgrade from and to?

Hubs.jpg

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
Patricia1234
Topic Author
This message was authored by Patricia1234 This message was authored by: Patricia1234

Thanks for responding I'm not sure. Current one on top of a cabinet and hard to access. It say Model ER110 if that helps. It came with sky q. It looks like the one in the middle of your pic. Sky just refer to the new one as 4.2

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

@Patricia1234 

Perhaps a third party power supply, something like this? If the new Hub is the one on the right in the pic.

Hubs.jpg

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
Patricia1234
Topic Author

Thank you. That's the kind of information I was trying to squeeze out of the non technical Sky technician. I will buy one of these but Sky aren't off the hook yet! 😀

Patricia1234
Topic Author

I ordered the item in this link and received it today but this cable and extension are unfortunately not compatible. With SR203 Attached pic of Sky’s connector and the ones supplied by myvolts. The blue one is Sky. Not blaming anyone on here and I’ve contacted the supplier to make them aware...and Sky!1FADAF4E-FECC-48E1-B6EA-4375D9C8AFF8.jpeg

This message was authored by MikeOMG This message was authored by: MikeOMG

@Patricia1234 When "skull+Treaty" replied to you above he said to order that cable if your router is like the one on the right, but your's I believe is the middle one (Model ER110). I am also looking for a longer cable fo rthis model, did you ever find one?

Patricia1234
Topic Author

No - I gave up in the end and got a one gang extension cable to the electric socket. My persistent complaining to Sky about their mis-selling earned me £60 compensation from them though

This message was authored by MikeOMG This message was authored by: MikeOMG

@Patricia1234  Thanks. I have done the same, it's not the en dof the world but I now have a 1 gang extension socket with the sky power supply plug hanging half way down a wall. Very ugly and putting strain on teh cables and connectors. Everything has such a stupidly short cable nowadays!

Thansk for replying.

This message was authored by r1962 This message was authored by: r1962

I spent ages trying to find the right power adapter and cable for more than 2m length. I can confirm this power cable set works - finally https://myvolts.co.uk/product/78533/UK_12V_myVolts_Premium_Power_Supply_compatible_with_Sky_Router_H...

This message was authored by Siobhan9 This message was authored by: Siobhan9

I have to get a longer cable because my sky router doesn't send the signal through my house very well. I got WIFI extenders and the signal is still poor. Thanks for this post. Saved me getting loads of wrong cables. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion