Discussion topic: Change router setting to WPA 2 How ?

This message was authored by Wendy21 This message was authored by: Wendy21

Change router setting to WPA 2 How ?

I have added TPlink extender as I can't get wifi in my living room but on my iPhone it warns weak security and changecrouterxsettingvyo WPA2 Help no idea how and can't get through to Sky. If someone has Sky number please share. Thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Change router setting to WPA 2 How ?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Wendy21 Sky hubs by default use at least  WPA2-psk so unless either you have changed  the setting or your TP-Link extender is using an older standard your wifi is secure. IPhones have started giving these warnings but unfortunately only routers designed and built very recently can support WPA3 that Apple assume should suddenly be the standard. Sky not totallly unreasonably is not going to junk something around 6 million hubs because Apple say so.

The Wifi security setting is on the WiFi tab in the hub's web interface.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Wendy21 

I don't get the warning message on any of my Apple devices when using WPA2-AES and the wireless routers that support the standard WPA2-AES. Suggest you check the router wireless interface and set it accordingly to WPA2-AES which the Sky router supports.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
Wendy21
Topic Author

Thanks it's stopped coming up with the warning now! At least I have wifi in my sitting room now and can watch Netflix and bbc iplayer😊

Wendy21
Topic Author

Thanks all good now and no warning messsge. 😊👍

@Wendy21 

WPA2-TKIP is very weak and Apple rightly complain about that wireless encryption standard. 😀

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

@Chrisee 

Apple requires WPA2(AES) encryption only for security and no warning message will be displayed which I've been trying to tell the community members for a year! WPA2-TKIP is poor security by Sky when their routers support the better standard WPA2(AES) or better... 😉

-------

@mae-3 the black Sky hubs fortunately default to WP2-PSK (AES) and Sky tell us that their systems report where a hub has been set to a lower level - customers will see this for themselves if the run the online tests.

As I posted elsewhere we see regular reports of Apple decices saying thst hubs are insecure when they are running the default settings. My devices dont do it like yours its a mystery.. 

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

@Chrisee 

I'm wondering whether it is related to interference on the wireless bands and the Apple devices mistakenly thinking it is an insecure router when in fact it is caused by interference with the key exchanges in WPA2 (AES) being attacked which can happen but very infrequently.

-------

@mae-3 that is a thought it isnt a huge issue but is becoming a frequently asked question in the forums. 

@Chrisee 

The question the community should be asking is whether those suffering from the issue are in a highly populated area of neighbourhood wireless systems. If that is the case an upgrade to Sky Max is recommended with WPA3-T the default setting used for security which I think will solve the issue for those users because it is less prone to interference of the WPA2-AES key exchange, and even setting WPA3 if all their devices support it.

-------

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion