Discussion topic: Bufferbloat

This message was authored by wizzbizz This message was authored by: wizzbizz

Bufferbloat

Hi

been with sky now for 2 weeks. Ultimate 500 pack with fibre. To date it's been an awful experience. Have a booster in one room and had to buy an extender for upstairs. Came from Bt fibre 150 so expected a corresponding increase in performance but it's been the opposite. My main issue would seem to be latency as even emails can take minutes to download. When I check the speed across multiple platforms I can be getting a way between 200 and 20 depending on where I am in the house but even 20 should be enough to download emails. At this stage I may ask to try to get out of the contract if at all possible or I will have to go and buy a new router and hope for the best. Anyone out there been able to do anything to optimize a sky service? 

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Bufferbloat

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@wizzbizz sounds like your internal Wifi network is the problem as your new hub and your two different boosters could be interfering with each other. I would suggest you try to isolate the cause

First if possible test using a device connected to the Sky hub by ethernet to see if the issue is with the connection which while possible is unlikely. Next with the boosters unplugged try the Wifi connection close to the hub. Then add the boosters one by one if the problem reappears then you can see the cause.

Boosters can cause more problems than they solve and with faster full fibre services few ISP provided routers can give fast wifi in every room. Ideally you want a Wifi system with satellite units that work together rather than separately.. Sky sell a system called Wifi Max but that costs £7.50 a month but does come with a new hub and they will supply up to 3 extenders that form a mesh network if they agree you need them. You can alternstively do as I do and buy a cheap whole home networking kit. Turn off the Sky hub's wifi and attach the kit set up in access point mode. My 3 unit Deco M4 kit cost me £100 and gives a minimum speed of around 200Mb/s in every room.

Hope thst helps.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion