Discussion topic: Broadband speed - not ultra fast, more like ultra slow

This message was authored by Mlast This message was authored by: Mlast

Broadband speed - not ultra fast, more like ultra slow

I'm looking for some help here as I'm now at my witts end. I have sky broadband boost with 100mb guarantee and when I run a test on sky website it seems to think that I am getting 151mb per second which is genuinely not true. I get buffering all the time and recently, my wife bought me a Sony PSP Portal for my birthday and the lag is unplayable. I have hard wired my PS5 to port 4 in my router as this is advised as the best port to use and I have used a top quality cable but this has not helped at all. I then went on google and put in a speed test and used the offical google speed tester and my results are

Letency: 4ms

Download: 34.30 Mb/s

Upload: 25.97 Mb/s

On compare the Market website, the broadband speed tests are coming up at 32.39 Mb/s for downloads and 27.65 Mb/s upload.

This is totally unacceptable. Can someone please advise me on what to do next as I have waited so long the phone to speak to someone numerous times that I hang up. Contract doesn't end till November. Can't go on like this. Have an extender too and can't get wifi in some places of my house and it's only a 3 bed semi.

Thank you in advance for your help and sorry for the rant 🥺 

Best Answers
This message was authored by Colin0000 This message was authored by: Colin0000 Answer

Re: Broadband speed - not ultra fast, more like ultra slow

Try connecting the laptop to the router by cable and check fast.com for a speedtest.

Sky Q 2GB 32B106 - HDMI to TV, hard wired to router with WiFi disabled on the Q box
Sky Ultrafast1 FTTP 150Mbps
Sky SR203 router
Samsung S95C 55"

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mlast   Please can you post your router stats so the forum can advise on any issues. This link explains how to do that https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/td-p/2855717#

You should be aware running speed tests over wifi would be variable at best and your router should show the speed you are connecting to your line.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

Mlast
Topic Author

Thank you, here are the details:

original-AAD9FCA7-3759-4C2E-B94C-BEED03328909.jpeg

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@Mlast  What device are you using to do these speed tests and how is it connected to your network?

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
Mlast
Topic Author

Hi,

I am using my laptop to do these speed tests over wifi.

Many thanks

Mlast
Topic Author

But....... My PS5 is hardwired using a good quality RJ45 cable straight to port 4 on the back of the router but when I do a speed test on my PS5 it's still coming up as mid 30's which is not right when sky is stating that I have 150+.

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Mlast wrote:

But....... My PS5 is hardwired using a good quality RJ45 cable straight to port 4 on the back of the router but when I do a speed test on my PS5 it's still coming up as mid 30's which is not right when sky is stating that I have 150+.

You need to be using an ethernet cable not RJ45

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

Mlast
Topic Author

An rj45 is an ethernet cable. Mine is a catagory 8 which is the best one recommended for a sony PS5

This message was authored by Colin0000 This message was authored by: Colin0000

@Mlast wrote:

An rj45 is an ethernet cable. Mine is a catagory 8 which is the best one recommended for a sony PS5

An RJ45 is actually the connector on the end of the cable rather than the cable itself. Have you tried all of the obvious such as turning off the router for 30 seconds and letting it reboot. Have you tried a different port and a different cable? The 150Mbps is the speed you're getting at the router BTW which seems to be fine in that regards at least as is the reported lag.

Sky Q 2GB 32B106 - HDMI to TV, hard wired to router with WiFi disabled on the Q box
Sky SR203 router
Samsung S95C 55"
This message was authored by Colin0000 This message was authored by: Colin0000 Answer

Try connecting the laptop to the router by cable and check fast.com for a speedtest.

Sky SR203 router
Samsung S95C 55"
Mlast
Topic Author

Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated, as are all the comments I have received so far, I will try this when I get home from work and update the forum afterwards 👍

Mlast
Topic Author

Hi all,

Once again I'd like to thank everyone for your help. Turns out that my ethernet cable had a break in it and the computer switched to Wifi. Got an emergency delivery (inc some spares) from Amazon and I'm up to speed.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend 😬👍

Mark

This message was authored by Mervyn+Coulson This message was authored by: Mervyn+Coulson

no link with Sky!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion