Discussion topic: Broadband...sorry dial up

This message was authored by Stephen751 This message was authored by: Stephen751

Broadband...sorry dial up

Just got sky in sales team assured and promised me that their wifi would reach my whole household.

Now I cannot connect to two of my (wifi) heaters, my TV in my room and my EV car charger 😑 not happy at all on the on phone for over an hour trying to sort trying all sorts but nothing no help whatsoever 

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Broadband...sorry dial up

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Stephen751 wrote:

Issue is it wasn't even sky who installed it? It was BT openreach and they installed at the wrong place back of home 

Sky usually don't install such equipment: neither does any other ISP using the Openreach network, because only Openreach personnel get to touch Openreach infrastructure.

The 'WiFi Guarantee' from Sky, and any similar sounding marketing nonsense from another ISP is actually no guarantee at all, because that's simply not possible in all properties.  It's a 'guarantee' that additional fees will be refunded if target speeds cannot be reached before the ISP stops making a profit on the account.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Stephen751 

If you search the Broadband board you'll see there have been issues with connection to heating systems and car charging systems over the last few weeks. 

One such thread is

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/WarmUp-underfloor-heating-is-being-blocked-by-your-router-fir... 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
Stephen751
Topic Author
This message was authored by Stephen751 This message was authored by: Stephen751

Thanks @Daniel0210 , yes it's seems sky sales are liars anything to make a sale their broadband is absolutely useless and so slow still cannot connect to my TV either tried changing SSID 2.4ghz and 5ghz never had any problems or issues with Virgin Media. I'll give them a call to go back been a waste of money 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Stephen751 if Sky sales staff promised whole home wifi coverage using a standard Sky hub they were lying complain Sky will listen to the call and release you from contract. 

Whole home wifi especially to stream video often requires extra equipment. Sky themselves offer an add on of Sky Wifi max which guarantees a minimum of 25Mb/s in every room (note that would  excludes an external ev charge unit) and they will supply up to 3 pod extenders if the new hub you get can't provide those speeds.

There are multiple other options see.this post I wrote answering a similar question.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Stephen751
Topic Author

Thanks @Chrisee appreciated they never mentioned anything about wifi max pods although did see online they charge you extra for having them installed. (basically a mesh system,  seen them on Amazon for only £35 with no contract) I use powerline adapters ATM through my earth wiring and never had an issue with Virgin Media? I have just cancelled as I'm in my cooling off period as they never even offered any help nor but I guess that's why they lose customers 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

That is your right @Stephen751 but not all mesh systems are created equally dont know what £35 buys you but it wont be much good. Sky's hubs are usually considered on a par with Virgin's and customers move between the two quite a lot it certainly isnt one way.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Stephen751
Topic Author

Mesh only tend to be as good as the hub issue is it wasn't even sky who installed it? It was BT openreach and they installed at the wrong place back of home virgin was in the middle of my home which was better 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@Stephen751 wrote:

Issue is it wasn't even sky who installed it? It was BT openreach and they installed at the wrong place back of home 

Sky usually don't install such equipment: neither does any other ISP using the Openreach network, because only Openreach personnel get to touch Openreach infrastructure.

The 'WiFi Guarantee' from Sky, and any similar sounding marketing nonsense from another ISP is actually no guarantee at all, because that's simply not possible in all properties.  It's a 'guarantee' that additional fees will be refunded if target speeds cannot be reached before the ISP stops making a profit on the account.

Stephen751
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood definitely an open reach van he said he was a subcontractor to sky and it goes through my telephone line

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Stephen751 wrote:

he said he was a subcontractor to sky 

Not strictly correct: Openreach is the national monopoly telecom network provider, and Sky, like most other ISPs, is obliged to purchase services from them.

Stephen751
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood thanks for the information my mistake as I presumed sky themselves installed their equipment. All good I've cancelled sky and leaving as the broadband is awful compared to Virgin Media...but lesson learned I guess best waiting until sky get full fibre in my area 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Stephen751 

One definite factor would be that any ISP can only provide a maximum 80Mbs over FTTC to the router using an Openreach copper phone line, while the private Virgin coaxial cable network can deliver many hundreds of megabits.  It's only with FTTP that Openreach-based ISP speeds can overhaul Virgin.

Stephen751
Topic Author

• 17036803412886213902214323261796.jpg

 it's that bad the sky puck hangs up and drops out 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion