Discussion topic: Amazon Eero

This message was authored by Roo2002 This message was authored by: Roo2002

Amazon Eero

Hello, I've had a look at the community, but can't find the answer. I'd like to use my Amazon Eero router with my SKY FTTP package. I did originally have it working by providing it with a Static WAN IP, but I've been fiddling with my network over the last few days and the static IP I assigned to the Eero must have been reassigned to another DHCP user. Does anybody know if I can obtain a new IP from the WAN DHCP pool by specifying a VLAN tag in the Eero? If so does anybody know what that Tag may be. I believe CityFibre installed the FTTP and have tried Tag 101. Or is there another way?

Best Answers
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

Re: Amazon Eero

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Roo2002 

Sounds like you fluked it with the public IP that was already assigned. I do not see how you'd get it working again on the Eero system alone.

Worth noting that as long as your dd-wrt router has gigabit ethernet chipset and you are offloading the majority of your routing/WiFi to the eero system you wont have issues with bottlenecking.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Roo2002 

I am not sure how you managed to have it working before because Sky broadband requires DHCP Option 61 which I did not think the Amazon Eero system supported. You are right though its VLAN tag 101 for FTTC.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Roo2002
Topic Author

Yup surprised me too because I'd read about option 61.

But long story short...

I was with TalkTalk FTTP they supplied the Eeros which work directly with the ONT and get a dynamic IP through the WAN DHCP.

I moved to SKY and left the setup as it was (didn't plug in the SKY router at all) and on activation day TT went off and SKY came on.

Didn't have/need an engineer visit as I was already enabled for FTTP with TT.

I set the IP it received as a STATIC address in the Eero anyway, just in case it was a fluke (didn't add any VLAN tag) and it's been good since July 2023.

Recently been playing about with my LAN. Had to turn off Eero and ONT.

Can't connect with static IP. Changed to DHCP and it didn't pick an IP up.

Tried VLAN tags, 101, 201 And 90. Still nothing.

Ended up putting a DD-WRT router in first, got an IP assigned over IPV6 then later an IPV4 address was also assigned both over DHCP with no Options set like 61.

Then I put the eeros behind the DDWRT on bride mode.

I would like the Eero first as my ddwrt is a bit dated and might struggle with the latest WAN speeds.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

@Roo2002 

Sounds like you fluked it with the public IP that was already assigned. I do not see how you'd get it working again on the Eero system alone.

Worth noting that as long as your dd-wrt router has gigabit ethernet chipset and you are offloading the majority of your routing/WiFi to the eero system you wont have issues with bottlenecking.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Roo2002
Topic Author

Yup looks like I'll have to leave it as it is then, if nobody else has managed it.

I read somewhere that if you get issued an IPV6 WAN address, it can be authenticated over that, with no need for option60/61. May have been what happened with the Eero initially?

It's a shame as my DDWRT hardware is fairly old and I've gone from a stable 520 download to 380-400. But I suppose that's the price you pay if you don't want to use the sky router.

I'll still keep an eye here in case anybody else chimes in that wants/does the same.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Roo2002 wrote:

I read somewhere that if you get issued an IPV6 WAN address, it can be authenticated over that, with no need for option60/61. May have been what happened with the Eero initially?

Correct

I am NOT a Sky Employee

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion