Discussion topic: Always had a slow WiFi speed

This message was authored by Tuck.q This message was authored by: Tuck.q

Always had a slow WiFi speed

Hi I've also has a slow WiFi speed. Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time WAN MER 14009331 47596894 0 75189 5590190 36:07:20 LAN Up 15909423 6666552 3 5632824 68430 36:09:19 WLAN (2.4 GHz) Up 1683858 528749 0 9149 141 36:07:21 WLAN (5 GHz) Up 25005494 8952185 0 0 50484 36:07:11 Broadband Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 25000 kbps 4996 kbps Line Attenuation D1(13.2 dB) , D2(33.8 dB) , D3(55.9 dB) U0(0.5 dB) , U1(25.6 dB) , U2(42.1 dB) Noise Margin 7.8 dB 6.4 dB I've had open reach out a few times and they've done lost of things like changed something in the pavement, the wiring to the house and the box on the wall of the house (sorry im not great st this stuff lol). They say i can't get a faster connection but we'll under my guaranteed speed of about 36mbps! Next door are on the same package as me as get about 42mbps!? Just wondering if there is anything my stats show/ for any advice really lol ive been told I won't be able to get anything faster than what I'm getting as I said and it seems odd that the house next to me gets a much faster speed thats all Cheers for any help

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: Always had a slow WiFi speed

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Tuck.q forum membersxare customers like yourself so dont have definite information. However the fact Openreach have been out and not sorted your line and the offer by  Sky for younto leave without penalty fit a pattern we are seeing more and more. The long term solution is a full fibre connection but that could be years away. 

Effectively your choice is to stay on your current package with Sky who like every other ISP don't discount prices based on speed as their costs are fixed. Switching to another isp using the same line is pointless as the costs and speeds will be much the same. The best solution is to switch to a provider  who doesn't use Openreach such as Virgin Media or one of the many smaller Altnet suppliers if one has cabelled your road. Other than that Mobile Broadband works for lots of people and isn't much more expensive. Starlink which is a satellite service is also an option but is pricy.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@Tuck.qCan see you have a dpwnstream noise margin. Have you tried to run the broadband test to see it can find any external faults?

Can you please run the broadband test, this can be done either via the Sky app on mobile data or use the link below.
https://www.sky.com/help/diagnostics/sky-broadband-diagnostic/sky-broadband-diagnostic

If it finds an external fault it should enable you to book an engineer.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
Tuck.q
Topic Author

Hello sorry for the late reply I've had some family issues unfortunately.

Thank you so for your message and that it shows there is an actual problem, I don't understand it all as I say lol

I've had multiple sky engineers out and open reach as I say and keep getting told there is nothing they can do!?

Everytime I do the test it flags up as an issue when I first go onto it, then when I press the "fix issue" check thing none of the results change but it comes up all green saying its fine....

Screenshot_20240319-204527_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240319-204545_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240319-204553_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240319-204702_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240319-204714_Samsung Internet.jpg

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@Tuck.q  The last picture shows the speed you are supposed to get is 36.3 mb/s and you are only just getting over 23 mb/s there is clearly an issue with your broadband for everyone to see.

Can you put your details in the form in the link below and post a screenshot hiding the private information in the top-left corner.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome 

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
Tuck.q
Topic Author

Alright bud and honestly thank you for you help.

Next door are on the same sky thing as us too and get over 40mbps! Honestly this has been going on for years and never got anywhere near to the speed we should be getting!

I hope this is what you wanted me to send lol.

Screenshot_20240319-215416_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240319-215429_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240319-215511_Samsung Internet.jpg

 this is what next door get and ive shown this to sky/all the engineers since I took the picture too

20230710_183709.jpg

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Hi @Tuck.q 

If you have had Openreach round and they have said there is nothing they can do then you may be a bit stuck. The problem is Openreach are focusing more now on FTTP rollouts so they are reluctant to fix minor copper faults like yours, instead they tend to just feedback to Sky that its not repairable and then Sky just say you can leave your contract without penalty.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Tuck.q
Topic Author

Yes mate they have been out a few times and done a couple of things but think im just stuck until they get around to putting new fibre stuff in right!? Thank you and @Highlinder for any kind of help and replies

Tuck.q
Topic Author

@Highlinder just wondering if there is anything more you could suggest for me to do about this buddy!? 

Tuck.q
Topic Author

Also if anyone could just give me an upfront answer its would be amazing lol even if the answer is that im definitely just screwed! 🤣 thats still a 'problem solved' like to me 👍even if the answer isn't one that I would want i would at least get a definitive answer of "yes stop wasting your time, you'll have to wait for the fiber to be installed!" Lol I know there is an issue, I've been told there is definitely an issue/they probably aren't interested in fixing it (and honestly thank you both for the responses too) but is that that!? Ive been told if I downgrade my subscription I won't even get anywhere near the speed I'm getting (but paying for much more lol) but annoyed about it obviously 🤔🙄😤 is there any options what so ever people!? Even the answer i don't want is still an answer to me! 😕🤔👍😘 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

@Tuck.q forum membersxare customers like yourself so dont have definite information. However the fact Openreach have been out and not sorted your line and the offer by  Sky for younto leave without penalty fit a pattern we are seeing more and more. The long term solution is a full fibre connection but that could be years away. 

Effectively your choice is to stay on your current package with Sky who like every other ISP don't discount prices based on speed as their costs are fixed. Switching to another isp using the same line is pointless as the costs and speeds will be much the same. The best solution is to switch to a provider  who doesn't use Openreach such as Virgin Media or one of the many smaller Altnet suppliers if one has cabelled your road. Other than that Mobile Broadband works for lots of people and isn't much more expensive. Starlink which is a satellite service is also an option but is pricy.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion