Discussion topic: Advice needed...can I run a 3rd party mesh and my Sky Q mesh together successfully?

This message was authored by DarrellMF This message was authored by: DarrellMF

Advice needed...can I run a 3rd party mesh and my Sky Q mesh together successfully?

Apologies if this is a simple query. As I get Sky Fibre Gigafast into the house it seems paradoxical that Sky's mini-boxes have 'speed limiters' on them, so what I actually end up getting isn't doing the business (unless sit  near the router).  So can I simply connect a 3rd party mesh system into the Sky router and run a few nodes so that a house with many wifi devices can enjoy speeds closer to what I pay for while the existing Sky mesh and mini-boxes can sit untouched, happily talking to each other like a family at Christmas (i.e someties they work well and somestimes not!)?  And if the answer is yes, can anyone offer an idiots guide into what mesh system is best and how to set-up? Much apprecaited.  My teenage children and wife will be very grateful!

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Advice needed...can I run a 3rd party mesh and my Sky Q mesh together successfully?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DarrellMF having two mesh wifi systems in the same area is going to cause interference unless you use separate wifi channels.  That is easier said than done with Sky Q as 3 boxes and a hub will effectively fill the 2.4GHz band. In the 5Ghz band you can set the Q boxes to use half of their normal bandwidth so say ch36 to ch44 and if you are lucky your mesh system can becset to use a different range.

A better solution is to switch off the Sky wifi totally and hard wire the Q boxes to the hub or your third party mesh satellites. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
DarrellMF
Topic Author
This message was authored by DarrellMF This message was authored by: DarrellMF

Re: Advice needed...can I run a 3rd party mesh and my Sky Q mesh together successfully?

Thanks for that. Sadly hard wiring more than one mini (which is already to the hub) isn't going to be possible. Mildly frustrating.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion