Discussion topic: 2 connections to CSP

This message was authored by MrBlue This message was authored by: MrBlue

2 connections to CSP

I have had the external "CSP" box fitted to bring FTTP to my house and a ~15 metre cable from it to the point where a hole was drilled through my wall to facilitate the internal installation of the ONT. This ONT location is optimised for my desktop PC location, so I can get a LAN connection and subsequently, the BB speed I am paying for...... most of the time. However, this is to the detriment of the TV. Ideally, I would like to have a LAN connection to the TV, too, so it can achieve the best speeds vs the wireless connection which only achieves, at best, 50% of the speed achieved via a LAN connection. I would like to have a separate connection from the CSP box to my TV, via another ONT if that is required. The CSP box is directly on the outside wall from where my TV is located, so any TV connection there would be within 1.5 metres of that CSP box. Practically, I would expect to be able to obtain the best speed, (LAN) BB for the TV when required and accept that I could then only use wireless for my desktop, i.e. I could accept that I could not have 2 LAN connections operating at the same time. So, if I was watching TV, then that LAN connection would have priority at the expense of the desktop LAN connection, (but the desktop would still have a wifi connection). If I was using the desktop, then it would have priority for the LAN connection and the TV would then have only a wifi connection. Essentially, the reverse of what I have currently, by having the flexibility to benefit from the purchased BB speed on my TV, (which I don't currently have) instead of just my desktop via the single current internal ONT installed. Is this possible ? If so, would it require an Openreach engineer to facilitate the installation, (along with the excessive associated costs) ? Thx 

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: 2 connections to CSP

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@MrBlue 

A second connection from a CSP and a second ONT requires another FTTP subscription, typically from a different ISP, and so doubles the monthly cost.  Splitting an individual optical circuit at the CSP simply isn't physically possible, and never happens: a typical fibre drop cable to a domestic address contains four glass strands to permit up to four ONTs each with an ISP subscription and its own router, but the vast majority of domestic addresses will only ever use one of these.

I think you are misunderstanding some basic principles of networking: for any reasonable domestic use the bandwidth from a single broadband connection is distributed from the router over cabled (ethernet) or WiFi pathways.  Even for a Superfast speed band delivered over FTTP there should be adequate bandwidth for any normal use, and most households never use the full potential of Ultrafast.

It's perhaps worth remembering that a smart television uses around 30Mbs at most (streaming UHD content into an app) and so has no need of its own dedicated connection to the internet.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@MrBlue 

A second connection from a CSP and a second ONT requires another FTTP subscription, typically from a different ISP, and so doubles the monthly cost.  Splitting an individual optical circuit at the CSP simply isn't physically possible, and never happens: a typical fibre drop cable to a domestic address contains four glass strands to permit up to four ONTs each with an ISP subscription and its own router, but the vast majority of domestic addresses will only ever use one of these.

I think you are misunderstanding some basic principles of networking: for any reasonable domestic use the bandwidth from a single broadband connection is distributed from the router over cabled (ethernet) or WiFi pathways.  Even for a Superfast speed band delivered over FTTP there should be adequate bandwidth for any normal use, and most households never use the full potential of Ultrafast.

It's perhaps worth remembering that a smart television uses around 30Mbs at most (streaming UHD content into an app) and so has no need of its own dedicated connection to the internet.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@MrBlue wrote:

Is this possible ? If so, would it require an Openreach engineer to facilitate the installation, (along with the excessive associated costs) ?  

Having said that, two ONTs is certainly possible, and doesn't actually incur any ECCs as it's just a second standard ONT installation with the advantage for the installer that the CSP is already in place.

Unfortunately for the user  to have both ONTs actually active requires two monthly broadband subscriptions, and so almost never happens at a typical domestic address.

Getting a second ONT installed can only happen through a second order for FTTP being placed by an ISP though, on a minimum contract term to cover the cost levied by Openreach on the ISP.

MrBlue
Topic Author
This message was authored by MrBlue This message was authored by: MrBlue

Thanks for your detailed reply, TimmyBGood. I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the architecture being set up to screw the customer as much as possible. Logic and customer focus must be paid, even more, for it seems. Thx again. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@MrBlue 

More a question of physics, really: dividing a circuit optically is a non-trivial exercise and simply cannot happen at the CSP.

Ethernet, WiFi and Powerline networking within the property is intended to provide consumer flexibility because that's what routers do.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion