Discussion topic: Whos looking forward to Finale?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Whos looking forward to Finale?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Chodley wrote:
What GoT did so well was the combination of political machinations (helped in no small part by a mostly superb cast), in-your-face shocking medieval brutality and the undercurrent of supernatural forces. 

And GoT had the huge advantage that the three dragons were only a relatively minor plotline amongst so many others, reducing the emphasis on CGI and permitting the impressive land battles with actual human extras. HoD is frankly hampered by the need to spend entire episodes building up to dragon vs dragon encounters which by definition can't be 'real'.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

And are kind of dull

and the dragons remind me of bats

I'll obviously still watch the last 2 seasons. It's not terrible like the new Axel F movie.

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Chodley wrote:
What GoT did so well was the combination of political machinations (helped in no small part by a mostly superb cast), in-your-face shocking medieval brutality and the undercurrent of supernatural forces. 

And GoT had the huge advantage that the three dragons were only a relatively minor plotline amongst so many others, reducing the emphasis on CGI and permitting the impressive land battles with actual human extras. HoD is frankly hampered by the need to spend entire episodes building up to dragon vs dragon encounters which by definition can't be 'real'.

Wait - dragons aren't real?????

MarkGoldsmith_0-1723315044128.gif

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@MarkGoldsmith 

We're watching a bit behind, and just saw the opening where Addam of Hull meets Rhaenyra on the beach.  I don't know if it was just me, but it appeared both actors were rather struggling to maintain straight faces in a supposedly epic moment which was presumably performed with entirely imaginary beasts behind them...

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@MarkGoldsmith 

We're watching a bit behind, and just saw the opening where Addam of Hull meets Rhaenyra on the beach.  I don't know if it was just me, but it appeared both actors were rather struggling to maintain straight faces in a supposedly epic moment which was presumably performed with entirely imaginary beasts behind them...

That was a poor scene. So close to being epic but the script and the "hang on, how did they get there in that conveniently staged arrangement, did someone whatsapp the other to arrange a meet?" vibe ruined it. Incredibly difficult to pull something like that off successfully which makes me really appreciate when it's done well.

@Chodley 

We caught up with the season finale last night, which was overwhelmingly 'meh'.

As usual I was reading up online at the same time, and it was interesting to spot the coded language various participants were using to describe the impact of having to cram ten scripts into eight episodes, which unfortunately did rather show in the final production.

I do seriously wonder if HBO think they can maintain enough level of interest over a two year gap to justify the probable budget.

This message was authored by stereohaven This message was authored by: stereohaven

@TimmyBGood wrote:

We caught up with the season finale last night, which was overwhelmingly 'meh'.

According to this recap (not sure who wrote it), you and I are clearly not intelligent enough to understand the nuance so it is our fault if we didn't enjoy it's subtle brilliance! 🤣

So, for those dismissing this episode as dull, perhaps it's time to reconsider what makes a story truly compelling. 

-------------------------

LG OLED | Sky Q | EE TV Pro | BT Smart Hub 2 | Apple TV 4K

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion