Discussion topic: Views on the Monaco GP

This message was authored by Anfield47 This message was authored by: Anfield47

Views on the Monaco GP

I love motor racing and F1 in particular but am flabbergasted every year with the lavish praise given to the Monaco GP. Yes, it is a beautiful venue and an interesting track but as a 'race' it is a joke. GP should stand for Grand Procession.

As the commentators pointed out today, during last year's race, following the safety car interlude which I think concluded on lap 33 their wasn't a single overtake in the top 12 for the following 40 odd laps.

Yes, this is due to the nature of the track but if that is considered 'racing' then I will eat my proverbial hat.

Once Qualy is finished it is invariably the most boring spectacle one could possibly watch.

But, maybe I am alone with my thoughts.😁 

Best Answers
Anfield47
Topic Author
This message was authored by Anfield47 This message was authored by: Anfield47 Answer

Re: Views on the Monaco GP

Yes, I completely agree with your points but I maintain that the art of overtaking is almost completely negated by the nature of the track.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Anfield47 

I get your point but as well as the art of overtaking, motor racing also involves the knack of staying on the track and not embedding your car into the wall. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
Anfield47
Topic Author
This message was authored by Anfield47 This message was authored by: Anfield47 Answer

Yes, I completely agree with your points but I maintain that the art of overtaking is almost completely negated by the nature of the track.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Anfield47 

To quote the Wikipedia article:

Despite the fact that the course has had minor changes several times during its history, it is still considered the ultimate test of driving skills in Formula One, and if it were not already an existing Grand Prix, it would not be permitted to be added to the schedule for safety reasons. 

Triple Formula One champion Nelson Piquet was fond of saying that racing at Monaco was "like trying to cycle round your living room", but added that "a win here was worth two anywhere else".

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Anfield47
Topic Author

Hi,

I do not for one moment deny the challenge of the circuit, I'd just love to drive it. My point is that due to the nature of the course is that it is very rarely a race as a marginally slower car can maintain the lead as it is almost impossible to overtake without a mistake as has been proved many times. E.G. Danny Ricciardo in an an ailing car won by great positioning making it virtually impossible to overtake. All credit to Danny, but to me it reinforces my view of procession rather than race.

In my view, it maintains it's position in the F1 calendar because of where it is rather than what it is. I am pretty sure that most of us F1 fans wish that we could enjoy the wealth and glamour of the place but not so sure about the 'racing'.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Anfield47 wrote:

In my view, it maintains it's position in the F1 calendar because of where it is rather than what it is. 

Better there than sportswashing another oppressive regime elsewhere.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Anfield47
Topic Author

So sorry,

And there was me thinking we were talking about F1 motor racing, and I mean racing not politics.😁 

Anfield47
Topic Author

Huge fan of Nelson but in no way to denigrate, an easy thing to say when you are in front. I wonder what his grid position was.

I don't know the answer to this question but in the modern era, i.e. 1.5 litre turbo, what is the lowest grid position that has won the race.

Even go back to the sixties and who ever won from lower positions as Max did from 9th. last week. There may well be some in the older days, but we are talking completely different cars and professionalism.😁 

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

The great thing about any sport is there is usually a diverse following all with their own perspective. 

I love the mix of circuits and Monaco is still one of my favourites. 

I have never actually attended one but Monaco would be probably be the top of the list - although I admit I might be biased by the fact it is a street circuit that  I have walked along the route a couple of the times during day trips during brief holidays to the South of France 

I agree it gives  different challenges and often considered by many to just be a procession but there is jeopardy - especially when the weather throws its hat in (as was the case yesterday)

I am one of those who want Monaco to stay on the calendar, although I know many only prefer newer circuits. 

As I say I think the mix of circuits is all part of it and we may not all love them all but they all add a variety & present different challenges 

You are not alone in your thoughts but as I say, there are others, like myself, who want it to remain 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion