Discussion topic: Streaming becoming old-school again

This message was authored by merv60 This message was authored by: merv60

Streaming becoming old-school again

When streaming services started we had the beginning of what became known as binge-watching, mostly because a whole season would drop in one go, ready to watch. However, I've been noticing recently that streaming platforms are going back to the old ways & releasing episodes weekly. Remember those good ol' days when we had to wait a week to see how our hero would get out of the cliffhanger they had been left in? Or to see if Ross & Rachel really were on a break? It seems odd that we have gone back to this way of watching ( unless of course you're prepared to wait for every episode to drop before you watch ). I liked having a whole season ready to go but I'm seeing it happen less & less.

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Streaming becoming old-school again

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@merv60 wrote:

When streaming services started we had the beginning of what became known as binge-watching, mostly because a whole season would drop in one go, ready to watch. However, I've been noticing recently that streaming platforms are going back to the old ways & releasing episodes weekly. Remember those good ol' days when we had to wait a week to see how our hero would get out of the cliffhanger they had been left in? Or to see if Ross & Rachel really were on a break? It seems odd that we have gone back to this way of watching ( unless of course you're prepared to wait for every episode to drop before you watch ). I liked having a whole season ready to go but I'm seeing it happen less & less.

I am guessing this is likely for happening more & more with the aim of stopping subscribers from cancelling until the series is finished (and maybe then hook them with the next one)

merv60
Topic Author
This message was authored by merv60 This message was authored by: merv60

@nigea99 wrote:

@merv60 wrote:

I am guessing this is likely for happening more & more with the aim of stopping subscribers from cancelling until the series is finished (and maybe then hook them with the next one)

@nigea99  Good point, you could be onto something there.

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

"When I was young, if you missed your programme when it was on, you missed it altogether. There's still episodes of Cagney & lacey I haven't seen"

Martin freeman's character in Breeders

I do like this weekly thing. I made latest seasons of "only murders"and "atlanta" my Sunday night viewing recently (apart from last episodes.) She-hulk I think will be Saturday night viewing.

With binging, I may put things on watchlists and never get to

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
This message was authored by LGUser This message was authored by: LGUser

@nolte wrote:

"When I was young, if you missed your programme when it was on, you missed it altogether. There's still episodes of Cagney & lacey I haven't seen"

Martin freeman's character in Breeders

I do like this weekly thing. I made latest seasons of "only murders"and "atlanta" my Sunday night viewing recently (apart from last episodes.) She-hulk I think will be Saturday night viewing.

With binging, I may put things on watchlists and never get to

I had access to twoVCRs on different TVs so I could record two different programs. But for the shows I was unable to watch when they were first run, we had the summer reruns to watch them.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion