Discussion topic: Sky channel closing in 2024

This message was authored by AmericanMaster This message was authored by: AmericanMaster

Re: Sky channel closing in 2024

Im not joking, im just saying is that like how Peacock was launched on Sky since 2021 and left because of NBC broadcast hasn't done the UK since they had a Europe version of NBC but closed, but what if the CEO of Sky think about NBC coming to the UK?

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@AmericanMaster wrote:

Im not joking, im just saying is that like how Peacock was launched on Sky since 2021 and left because of NBC broadcast hasn't done the UK since they had a Europe version of NBC but closed, but what if the CEO of Sky think about NBC coming to the UK?

Nbc's parent Comcast are the owners of Sky

---------
ROI sky Q Customer.
If you have questions about Sky, please post on the forums and do not send me private messages about them. I'm only a customer like you.
This message was authored by AmericanMaster This message was authored by: AmericanMaster

OK, I will think about NBC, but anyways have we guys think about when Max is coming to the UK with a launch date and also for Harry Potter series by 2026 is it for Harry Potter to be released 2 years away or if they changed their mind to release it like July 2025 and Superman reboot movie will be on July 11.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@AmericanMaster wrote:

NBC will be perfect to expand to the UK replacing Channel 4 as a broadcaster after making Kevin Spacey's documentary was unacceptable behaviour

Ofcom will adjudicate any complaints made to them.  Attempting a private prosecution for defamation under such circumstances doesn't have a history of working out well for the person bringing the case.

includes ITV facing a downfall with Post Office IT horizon scandal,

ITV lost some money making the Mr Bates television programme because the subject matter was of limited interest for foreign sales.  I suspect the overseas income from Downton Abbey will keep them going for a while.

which ITV will be replace by American Broadcasting Company as for Channel 5 to be replaced by CBS.

Channel 5 Broadcasting Limited is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the UK and Australia division of Paramount Global: that's not exactly a trivial organisation and, incidentally, owns CBS (which does not have a UK broadcasting licence)

It needs to happen this year and in 2025.

Given those channels are PSBs, losing any of them is vanishingly unlikely and would be a seismic event in UK television. Anyway, nothing like that happens quickly, particularly in an election year.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

I just explain that Sky Max should be shut down for good, despite that for any Sky contents which made all of them respectively. But for Sky Max, it just dosen't make any sense with this channel.

This message was authored by Timelord2018 This message was authored by: Timelord2018

We'll they putting all 3 Walking Dead spin offs on it along with the Original series , also recently ordered 2 adventure dramas which suitable for Sky Max

If any channel/brand doesn't make sense it's Sky Comedy, a upcoming original comedy (Mr Bigstuff) was originally announced for Sky Comedy a few months ago , now moved to Sky Max

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

@Timelord2018 wrote:

If any channel/brand doesn't make sense it's Sky Comedy, a upcoming original comedy was originally announced for Sky Comedy a few months ago , now moved to Sky Max

Out of curiosity,  what was that series?

---------
ROI sky Q Customer.
If you have questions about Sky, please post on the forums and do not send me private messages about them. I'm only a customer like you.

I will say is that Sky Atlantic should be closing down by next year in 2025 as for HBO programming are finished Licenced they will be bringing max in the UK for this year or two years later.

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@AmericanMaster wrote:

as for HBO programming are finished 

That part is factually incorrect as for some of HBOs current top shows Sky have longterm broadcasting rights for them that exceeds past the general content agreement that is currently in placec and expires at the end of 2025.

Yes Max is due to launch in early 2026 in the UK, however its incredibly likely some sort of new agreement will still be reached between WBD and Sky. My guess would be a Netflix style bundle deal into Sky packages, and perhaps even a continuation of some programming rights that Sky can use to populate their on-demand catalogues and linear channels.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Timelord2018 This message was authored by: Timelord2018

@AmericanMaster wrote:

I will say is that Sky Atlantic should be closing down by next year in 2025 as for HBO programming are finished Licenced they will be bringing max in the UK for this year or two years later.

I can't see how much future for.Sky Comedy as Linear channel.

Even 1st season The Cleaning Lady which Sky only acquired from  WBD and aired this year expires on 31st December 2025 it shows WBD approach to licensing newer content to Sky, 

@MarkGoldsmith wrote:

@AmericanMaster wrote:

as for HBO programming are finished 

That part is factually incorrect as for some of HBOs current top shows Sky have longterm broadcasting rights for them that exceeds past the general content agreement that is currently in placec and expires at the end of 2025.

Yes Max is due to launch in early 2026 in the UK, however its incredibly likely some sort of new agreement will still be reached between WBD and Sky. My guess would be a Netflix style bundle deal into Sky packages, and perhaps even a continuation of some programming rights that Sky can use to populate their on-demand catalogues and linear channels.

Well it will be effectively replacing Discovery+, although that would devalue Sky Cinema if Max with ads which includes WB first pay Window releases is included in Entertainment package like Netflix Standard with ads is.

The ad tier is apparently very attractive to distribution partners 

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2024/05/20/zeiler-wbd-needs-to-launch-max-in-sky-markets/

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion