Discussion topic: Sky Sports subscribers

This message was authored by LeoJC This message was authored by: LeoJC

Sky Sports subscribers

How many Scottish Sky Sports subscribers are there?

Best Answers
This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome Answer

Re: Sky Sports subscribers

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Nobody will post that information for the reasons already stated and in any case the large majority of people posting on here are customers and not Sky employees.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@LeoJC 
You aren’t addressing Sky Customer Services here. This is primarily a customer helps customer forum so we aren't going to know the answer to that. As you mentioned 'Scottish Sky Sports subscribers' and not 'Sky Sports subscribers in Scotland' Sky won't know either. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by d2h This message was authored by: d2h

@LeoJC wrote:

How many Scottish Sky Sports subscribers are there?

Sky don't break down subscription numbers anymore and report on the entire Europe-wide operation. Pre-Comcast, they did used to report UK numbers in isolation but even then, it was never broken down into home nations.

Sky will of course have the data but as it's considered commercially sensitive, it will not be released in the public domain. 

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

I don't recall Sky asking if I was English or Scottish when I joined. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
LeoJC
Topic Author

I wonder why it would be considered "commercially sensitive"…

LeoJC
Topic Author

Can a Sky employee please provide the information I am requesting, please?

How many Sky Sports subscribers are subscribed from Scotland?

Thank you.

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome Answer

Nobody will post that information for the reasons already stated and in any case the large majority of people posting on here are customers and not Sky employees.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

@LeoJC why do you need to know?

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
LeoJC
Topic Author

@caesarome 

I'm seeking this information for a thesis I am working on in relation to Telecommunications and its relationship with Football. To suggest it would be considered "commercially sensitive" gives the impression it insinuates concealing information for deceptive purposes. It is an unacceptable position if this turns out to be the case.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@LeoJC wrote:

@caesarome 

It is an unacceptable position if this turns out to be the case.

@LeoJC 

Sky might say it's not acceptable to divulge such information on a public forum. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by Doc5907 This message was authored by: Doc5907

@LeoJC wrote:

@caesarome 

I'm seeking this information for a thesis I am working on in relation to Telecommunications and its relationship with Football. To suggest it would be considered "commercially sensitive" gives the impression it insinuates concealing information for deceptive purposes. It is an unacceptable position if this turns out to be the case.

@LeoJC Sky simply won't provide this information to you for your thesis.

Its not deception or concealment, they just don't provide that type of information....to anyone.

....................................................................................................................
Sky Q 1TB UHD
LG TV
Sky Mobile
BT Broadband
This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

One of the reasons it may be commercially sensitive is when it comes to bidding for sports rights.  So if bt sports know sky sports have 500,000 subscribers in Scotland, this affects how much sky are willing to pay for Scottish football.

One avenue you might look at is Sky Media as this is designed for selling to advertiser. I don't think they will give any information but the site could be useful for you.

Good luck on your thesis

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
This message was authored by japitts This message was authored by: japitts

Most companies will consider subscriber & customer data as commercially sensitive to varying degrees.

This message was authored by d2h This message was authored by: d2h

@LeoJC wrote:

@caesarome 

@LeoJC 

I would hope that somebody writing a thesis is able to understand the fundamentals of what commercially sensitive data and information is. To suggest it insinuates information is not disclosed for deceptive purposes is not the case. 

All companies regard certain data as being commercially sensitive and a much better way to understand it is to think of said data as being so informative that it would affect the ability of the business to work competitively. 

Be it subscriber numbers, procurement costs, sales figures, development plans - that's all commercially sensitive.

As somebody quite rightly notes, any competitor can gauge Sky's cost ceiling for bidding at auctions for live rights (as just one example). If they have x000 subscribers to a particular suite of channels in Scotland, rivals can use the reserve price + incumbent price paid last time, estimate their ceiling based on paying customers, and place a conservative 5-10% increase on their own bid in order to try to win the rights. Being armed with subscriber data before the auction would put y company at an advantage over x company. 

Would it be as big an issue if y was smaller than x? Probably not. But when x is the market leader, y already knows they must be competitive - subscriber numbers to such a detailed degree would make their competitiveness much stronger but it would also disappoint the selling party. Such data could make a product seem much less valuable if only x000 are subscribed to see it in a particular town/city/county/home nation. Such an outcome could see rivals not submit a bid or, as is more likely, submit a much lower offer. This scenario would virtually guarantee that x walks away with the rights again for little to no increase on the previous deal. 

This message was authored by rscott This message was authored by: rscott

Sky only publish total customer numbers for Europe - they don't even break it down by country, let alone into TV and broadband, so are highly unlikely to disclose the information you request.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion