Discussion topic: Samsung OLED TV keeps dropping the wired Internet connections

This message was authored by totteridgeram2 This message was authored by: totteridgeram2

Samsung OLED TV keeps dropping the wired Internet connections

Hi - my Samsung TV keeps losing connection with the Internet,  despite being connected via a LAN cable and by WiFi.  It worked fine for years. but last few months BBC iPlayer and YouTube just won't start. Any ideas? 

All Replies

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

Re: Samsung OLED TV keeps dropping the wired Internet connections

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

how old is it?

you say it worked "for years"

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
totteridgeram2
Topic Author
This message was authored by totteridgeram2 This message was authored by: totteridgeram2

Hi , not that old. Say about 2 years. I meant ti say "for ages" - well, ever since I have had the TV. Thanks.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@totteridgeram2 wrote:

despite being connected via a LAN cable and by WiFi.  

Typically one or the other should be active, not both simultaneously.  With an ethernet cable in place it's usually best to switch WiFi off if that doesn't happen automatically.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@totteridgeram2 wrote:

Hi , not that old. Say about 2 years. I meant ti say "for ages" - well, ever since I have had the TV. Thanks.

If it's actually an OLED and not a QLED then you'll only have had it for about a year and a bit. Samsung's first QD OLED TV's were only launched last year. The first batch did apparently have quite a few issues so if you're still under warranty it might be worth getting it checked. 

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

@totteridgeram2 wrote:

Hi - my Samsung TV keeps losing connection with the Internet,  despite being connected via a LAN cable and by WiFi.  It worked fine for years. but last few months BBC iPlayer and YouTube just won't start. Any ideas? 

Your first port of call (haha, get it? port) should be to replace the cable and see if that helps. If not, make sure that if there are any updates needed for each device.

It could also be that the server/API addresses that BBC and YouTube use have been changed and because of this, they cannot connect. I have a free-to-air Edison satellite receiver that I have a few years. And it has "WebTV" that includes YouTube, but this is extremely old version and it no longer works. 

I just want to stress that I'm assuming you're trying to access BBC iPlayer and YouTube via the TV and not via a Sky device. I'm assuming you have Sky (this is a Sky forum after all), so I would suggest watching BBC iPlayer and YouTube on a Sky Q/+HD or Sky Glass/Stream.

Also, if you're in Ireland or outside the UK, there seems to be new technology to block access to VPNs, so if you're using a VPN, BBC iPlayer may have blocked it.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion