Discussion topic: Receiving BBC One Scot HD on channel 101

This message was authored by Simon19 This message was authored by: Simon19

Receiving BBC One Scot HD on channel 101

On selecting BBC One Scot HD from the Sky Channel Guide, there are instructions to 'Call ****2 4*5161 for further information on how to receive this HD channel'.  On calling ****2 4*5161 there is a recorded message to say that that number no longer exists and to call ****2 4*1602 instead.  On calling ****2 4*1602 there is a message to say 'You have dialled an incorrect number, please check the number and dial again'.  I have checked the numbers and they are the correct numbers, as advised to call.

On submitting this post I was advised to remove part of the phone number with this message 'Your message contains 0 8 4 4, which is not allowed or has been repeated too many times. We block information which can identify you such as account or phone numbers & email addresses. Please remove or change it before trying again.'  So I changed that part of the phone number to four asterisks.

Then on submitting again I got this message 'Your message contains 4 1 5 1 6 1, which is not allowed or has been repeated too many times. We block information which can identify you such as account or phone numbers & email addresses. Please remove or change it before trying again.' So I replaced a 1 with a single asterisk on the remaining part of both telephone numbers.

(Am cool but pinching myself to check I am not in a struggle dream) .   I've tried to include the telephone numbers because they are of no use and would be handy for someone to remove them.

Is anyone able to help me with what I need to do to receive BBC Scotland HD on channel 101?  There are numerous other channels on the Sky Channel Guide that display the same message.

I found some information that a channel was changing from SD to HD, don't know if that has anything to do with it or not (whatever SD and HD mean).

Would be very grateful to receive some help.  

Thanks.

Best Answers
Simon19
Topic Author
This message was authored by Simon19 This message was authored by: Simon19 Answer

Re: Receiving BBC One Scot HD on channel 101

Thankyou for the replies, they have helped me search in the right place for the answer.

Found this at January 2024 - HD Satellite Upgrade for BBC Channels | Freesat

How to tell if you’re using an SD-only box?

Go to channel 799 on your TV (Freesat customers only). If you see a “Good news!” message, then you don’t need to do anything. You’re ready and won’t be affected. Over the next few months, your new HD BBC One region will appear on channel 101 automatically.

If you see a “sorry, your satellite set-top box is not capable of receiving high-definition services” message, these changes will affect you and you will need to upgrade your satellite box. However, you may be eligible for extra support.

My SkyBox is quite old and is one of thsoe that can't receive a HD signal.

Thanks.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Simon19 

The obvious questions would be:

Which Sky television platform are you using?

and 

Do you live in Scotland?

The BBC made substantial changes to satellite broadcasting at the start of this year: have you only recently had these issues?

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Simon19 

That may be a telephone number going back nearly a year now, and so could well have been discontinued.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/questions/freesat-sky/sd-satellite-closure 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Simon19
Topic Author

How do you find out which Sky platform you are on?  Is there somewhere where it is explained? I have a skybox and get digital freeview channels through it.  Where do you think it might say which platform it is on?

The BBC1 Scot channel is one that used to work and is one of a few that now don't.

Simon19
Topic Author

Yes, they are definitely not working.

Simon19
Topic Author

Yes, the location is Scotland

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@Simon19 wrote:

How do you find out which Sky platform you are on?  Is there somewhere where it is explained? I have a skybox and get digital freeview channels through it.  Where do you think it might say which platform it is on?

The BBC1 Scot channel is one that used to work and is one of a few that now don't.

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent )
Simon19
Topic Author

I have not tried to use the Skybox for at least a couple of years

Simon19
Topic Author
This message was authored by Simon19 This message was authored by: Simon19 Answer

Thankyou for the replies, they have helped me search in the right place for the answer.

Found this at January 2024 - HD Satellite Upgrade for BBC Channels | Freesat

How to tell if you’re using an SD-only box?

Go to channel 799 on your TV (Freesat customers only). If you see a “Good news!” message, then you don’t need to do anything. You’re ready and won’t be affected. Over the next few months, your new HD BBC One region will appear on channel 101 automatically.

If you see a “sorry, your satellite set-top box is not capable of receiving high-definition services” message, these changes will affect you and you will need to upgrade your satellite box. However, you may be eligible for extra support.

My SkyBox is quite old and is one of thsoe that can't receive a HD signal.

Thanks.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion