Discussion topic: No adverts. Keep this permanent

This message was authored by tazza1984 This message was authored by: tazza1984

No adverts. Keep this permanent

Been brilliant having no advertisements on sky. Should be a permanent thing. The price we pay we shouldn't be subjected to pointless advertising.  

All Replies

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: No adverts. Keep this permanent

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@tazza1984 

But the subscription price would be significantly higher without advertising. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@tazza1984 wrote:

Been brilliant having no advertisements on sky. Should be a permanent thing. The price we pay we shouldn't be subjected to pointless advertising.  

@tazza1984 if there were no adverts the price you currently pay may double or treble

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by best+of+the+best This message was authored by: best+of+the+best

@tazza1984 wrote:

And the reason behind the no adverts is out of respect to the late Queen who's funeral was today @tazza1984 in case you didn't see it advertised

If you are also wondering if it's permanent it's not I'm afraid  should resume tomorrow as normal.

Advertising is a lucrative business which keeps our subscription costs down.

Find your post really not called for seeing what today is really about.

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

@tazza1984 wrote:

Have a look at this article Sky Community article as it explains why that is not possible.

Discussion topic:Adverts on a subscription service!? - https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/What-s-On/Advert... 

Also, I think you're completely missing the point why the adverts are temporarily removed on some channels since Thursday, and some just Thursday, Friday and today. 

This message was authored by Super+Anthony This message was authored by: Super+Anthony

I agree. They should scrap adverts. There is no need for sky to then charge more, as they make huge profits from all their charges they put onto us

I do fully understand why it was temporarily stopped, due to the sad weekend we have just had.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Super+Anthony wrote:

I agree. They should scrap adverts. There is no need for sky to then charge more, as they make huge profits from all their charges they put onto us

You really think Sky's shareholders and other investors will be willing to accept a reduced return on their investment? Dream on!

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

Prior to sky being taken over by comcast, advertising represented about 10% of the income before expenses based on their financial statements filed prior to takeover

Cutting it out, would be a substantial cut to the bottom line

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
This message was authored by Legow This message was authored by: Legow

A lot of comments on this trying to justify the perspective of the company and share holders.  As a customer and someone who pays for a service, the service should be delivered as expected as it always was, without adverts.  They have basically reduced the level of service that customers pay for in order to generate more profits.  That's wrong, I don't see any justifiable argument for it. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Legow wrote:

A lot of comments on this trying to justify the perspective of the company and share holders. 

I'd suggest almost all such posts are explanation rather than justification. 'company and share holders' are somewhat significant factors: that's generally how capitalism works.

As a customer and someone who pays for a service, the service should be delivered as expected as it always was, without adverts. 

'Services' change: surely you've noticed that elsewhere?

They have basically reduced the level of service that customers pay for in order to generate more profits.  That's wrong, I don't see any justifiable argument for it. 

Comcast stockholders (who have just seen an $8 billion write-down of the acquisition price) might disagree.  Again, capitalism.

I'd assume you're referring to the roll-out of adverts to Sky on-demand services rather than the initial topic of this thread which was the temporary suspension of advertising by some commercial channels after the death of the Queen.  I think no forum posters are likely to argue Sky has increased subscriber exposure to advertisments in a particularly clever way, but it's their business and they can choose to do so.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Legow wrote:

A lot of comments on this trying to justify the perspective of the company and share holders.  As a customer and someone who pays for a service, the service should be delivered as expected as it always was, without adverts.  They have basically reduced the level of service that customers pay for in order to generate more profits.  That's wrong, I don't see any justifiable argument for it. 

How much extra would you be willing to pay for a 'no adverts' option?

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Legow wrote:

That's wrong, I don't see any justifiable argument for it. 

@Legow 

You're looking at it from a customer's perspective and not with a business head on. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion