Discussion topic: Lionsgate + Closing

This message was authored by Timelord2018 This message was authored by: Timelord2018

Re: Lionsgate + Closing

@nolte wrote:

The opening paragraph of the Cordbuster

• In an unexpected turn that’s set to reshape the British streaming scene (again), Lionsgate+, the premium streaming service, is set to shut down its operations in the UK in early 2024.

I'm not sure it really is unexpected. I think much like viaplay, lionsgate+ never really gained the economies of scale needed to sustain the service as one on its own

I'm also not sure it will really considerably reshape. The market feels a bit saturated and customers are struggling so these niche services are tougher to justify.

Though I am interested to see when starz/lionsgate make official announcement on future.

Definitely isn't unexpected, Was shut down in other countries 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/digital/mgm-plus-international-streaming-europe-rebrand-1...

Jason+Golding
Topic Author
This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

I suspect the three month offer with sky. Was there last throw of the dice at the Uk market. Wouldn't surprise me is Sky commit to a content deal 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick Roku 4K Google Chromecast
This message was authored by Fat_Bob This message was authored by: Fat_Bob

I'm glad it's closing. There are too many streaming services, each with barely a handful of decent shows among them. Lionsgate+ was doomed from launch. 

Jason+Golding
Topic Author
This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

@Fat_Bob I agree mate. I find the current amount of on demand apps completely unnecessary. Hopefully we will see a period of consolidation, where we end up with maybe 4/5 main apps in the future. With some sensible pricing. Disney have already starting licensing their material again. 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick Roku 4K Google Chromecast
This message was authored by mirdragon This message was authored by: mirdragon

https://www.lionsgateplus.com/gb/en/faq

Top faq is about your subscription and confirming it is closing on 29 February 2024.

You only find this if go into the faq, but they are still taking subscriptions. I've cancelled mine so don't have to mess about with refunds (even though only pay £2.99 a month)

Zen Internet: G.Fast (330/50)|OpnSense + Deco X50
Mobile: Samsung S20 FE 5G 256GB|Samsung Tab S6
TV: LG OLED55C24LA|SkyQ HDR 2TB + Minis|2xHDHR Quatro
AVR: Marantz NR1711
Streaming Devices: Xbox Series X|Apple 4K TV|Fire TV Cube|Shield TV Pro|Roku 3
This message was authored by ZyloKai This message was authored by: ZyloKai

Lionsgate+ will be shutting down its UK operation on 29 February 2024 (2024 is a leap year, not a joke).

https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/lionsgate-plus-uk-shutdown-date-refunds/

Regarding refunds; on 29 February, all subscriptions will be cancelled and partial refunds, for remainder of the subscription, will be refunded to the original payment method. Refunds may take up to 14 days to be credited.

For subscriptions through Amazon Prime, refund details are not available as of yet.

This message was authored by mirdragon This message was authored by: mirdragon

Mentioned it in my post the date they closed and is directly from lionsgate themselves, not a 3rd party website.

If anyone is subscribed and wants to know more go to the lionsgate website rather than rely on 3rd party sites.

Zen Internet: G.Fast (330/50)|OpnSense + Deco X50
Mobile: Samsung S20 FE 5G 256GB|Samsung Tab S6
TV: LG OLED55C24LA|SkyQ HDR 2TB + Minis|2xHDHR Quatro
AVR: Marantz NR1711
Streaming Devices: Xbox Series X|Apple 4K TV|Fire TV Cube|Shield TV Pro|Roku 3
This message was authored by StargazerUK1984 This message was authored by: StargazerUK1984

Here is the big question how will Lionsgate content be shown in the UK. Over the last year MGM+ expanded and signed a deal to show Lionsgate+ content. 

Only a few days ago Amazon announced an MGM+ expansion for Latin America with Lionsgate+ content after the Lionsgate+ closure. Will that mean MGM+ will expand to the UK with a similar type of deal.

@StargazerUK1984 wrote:

Here is the big question how will Lionsgate content be shown in the UK. Over the last year MGM+ expanded and signed a deal to show Lionsgate+ content. 

Only a few days ago Amazon announced an MGM+ expansion for Latin America with Lionsgate+ content after the Lionsgate+ closure. Will that mean MGM+ will expand to the UK with a similar type of deal.

That's very plausible. But if Apple TV+ is already launched, it may just get rebranded to MGM+ or Lionsgate+ content will go to Apple TV+ instead.

Another option could be where content will go to the highest bidder, i.e. Sky, Netflix, Disney+, etc.

This message was authored by Timelord2018 This message was authored by: Timelord2018

@ZyloKai wrote:

@StargazerUK1984 wrote:

That's very plausible. But if Apple TV+ is already launched, it may just get rebranded to MGM+ or Lionsgate+ content will go to Apple TV+ instead.

Another option could be where content will go to the highest bidder, i.e. Sky, Netflix, Disney+, etc.

@ZyloKai wrote:

@StargazerUK1984 wrote:

Not sure Apple TV+ has do with this?

There is MGM service (£4.49) on Amazon Prime Video Channels which has relaunched in other countries as MGM+ , Lionsgate+ subscribers who joined aia Prime Video Channels will now get access to MGM+ instead (which is , although some Lionsgate+ UK content they simply acquired might not transfer like Godfather Of Harlem which is owned by Disney, and is on Disney+ in Canada, Germany, Italy, Netherlands and possibly others 

@Timelord2018 wrote:

@ZyloKai wrote:

@StargazerUK1984 wrote:

@ZyloKai wrote:

@StargazerUK1984 wrote:

Not sure Apple TV+ has do with this?

There is MGM service on Prime Video Channels which has relaunched in other countries as MGM+

Apologies, I meant Amazon Prime Video. Amazon lauched MGM+ in Latin America. 

Hightown which was removed from Lionsgate+ last year has been licensed to Alibi (BBC Studios), likely UKTV acquired all 3 seasons from Lionsgate+, first season is on Alibi in March.

This message was authored by Savageman12 This message was authored by: Savageman12

I think it's about time for Lionsgate+ to close, we have too many subscription services and that market in my opinion needs to get smaller so Sky, Netflix and Amazon can really be competitive to each other.  

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion